- 2018 UWM German Program Spring Awards Ceremony (5/17/2018) - This year’s UWM German Program Spring Awards Ceremony was held on May 10, 2018. It was a joyous opportunity for us to conclude the academic year by honoring our outstanding students for their achievements in our German courses as well as their engagement in the German program.
- Book of the Year / Buch des Jahres! (4/25/2018) - Join us in reading and discussing Wolfgang Herrndorf’s best-selling road-novel Tschick! Start reading now, and look out for exciting book-related events and activities next Fall and Spring semesters! German and English language readers welcome!
- Meet Viridiana Rocha! (12/12/2017) - Viridiana Rocha is an Information Science and Technology major, and her minors are German and Spanish. She has been studying German for 4 years now. Meet Viridiana...
- Alum Misty Voss Studies Abroad in Hessen (11/7/2017) - Read about UWM German alum Misty Voss and the amazing award that is allowing her to spend a year in Germany. Herzlichen Glückwunsch Misty!
- Congratulations to Melanie Smith! (10/17/2017) - Congratulations to Melanie Smith (German & Linguistics) for winning a SURF Award from the Office of Undergraduate Research to support her work with Professor Garry Davis.
- Kaffeepause (9/8/2017) - You are welcome to attend Kaffeepause, 1-2 pm in Curtin Hall 187. We are scheduled to meet on the following Tuesdays: September 19th; October 3rd, 17th and 31st; November 14th; December 5th.
- Welcome Dr. Karolina May-Chu! (9/7/2017) - Please join us in welcoming Dr. Karolina May-Chu as Assistant Professor to the UWM German Program! Learn more about her in the August 2017 issue of the College of Letters & Science's In Focus online magazine. InFocus article »
- Filmabende (6/9/2017) - Join us once a month during the semester for our Film Series. We screen both contemporary films and classics.
- Music, Race, and American Culture in Weimar Germany (5/1/2017) - Associate Professor Jonathan Wipplinger’s monograph "The Jazz Republic: Music, Race, and American Culture in Weimar Germany" was just published by the University of Michigan Press. The Jazz Republic examines jazz music and the jazz artists who shaped Germany’s exposure to this African American art form from 1919 through 1933.
- Derek Schaefer: Visiting Assistant Professor (9/4/2016) - Welcome Dr. Derek Schaefer to the UWM German language program. Dr. Schaefer's research interests include East German Literature, Contemporary German Literature, and Transnationalism and Migrant Literature.
- Come to our Opportunities Fair and explore your internship, study abroad, and career options! - Thursday, September 26, 3:00-6:30 PM
Alumni Fireside Lounge, UWM Union
Do you know about the great career or internship opportunities with German companies or UWM’s study abroad options in Germany? Would you like to learn more about Wisconsin’s connections with Germany? Have you thought about what learning German could mean for your future? Whether you are currently studying German or not - join us for the Opportunities Fair and find out!
- Lecture and Film Screening - Tuesday, November 20, 2018
Please join us at 6 pm in Curtin Hall 175 for a talk by Dr. Lynn Wolff (Michigan State University) on "Frames, Flashes, and Fragments: (Re)constructing Family Stories in Words and Images," followed by a screening of the short film "Bridges," a "living graphic novel" about the Berlin Airlift.
- Kaffeepause - Bi-weekly hour of German speaking practice and conversation held in the fall and spring semester. Take the opportunity to meet fellow German students and instructors and enjoy some free coffee, tea, and cookies and German conversation.
- Study Abroad in Hessen - Come and find out how you can spend a summer, semester or academic year in Hessen, Germany!
- Filmabende – The Baader Meinhof Complex - Wednesday, November 29 at 6:30PM in Curtin Hall 175 "This film provides a look at Germany’s terrorist group, The Red Army Faction (RAF), which organized bombings, robberies, kidnappings, and assassinations in the late 1960s and ‘70s."
- Stammtisch - Practice your German with the UWM German Club every Wednesday (except during Filmabende) at the Student Union Gasthaus, 6-8 pm.
- Filmabende - Join us once a month during the semester for our Film Series. We screen both contemporary films and classics.
- Studying, Living, Working In Germany - April 6, 2017
This is an information session on studying, living, and working in Germany. It will feature UWM German faculty, members of UWM's study abroad office, as well as student's who've already been abroad. 4-6:00pm, Curtin 866
- Germany Meets the US – Lecture - November 20, 2016, 4-6 pm
Curtin Hall 175
The Future is Unwritten: (Re)defining Blackness in Black German Poetry Join us for a Guest Lecture by Professor Priscilla Layne of University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill
- Germany Meets the US – Panel - Join us for Panel on German-American History on Nov 13, 2016, 4-6pm in Curtin Hall 175. Panelists: Antje Petty, H. Glenn Penny, and Mark Louden.