PhD, Veterinary Anatomy and Public Health, Texas A&M University, 1993
MS, Biological Oceanography, University of Miami, 1988
BS, Marine Biology, University of North Caroline at Wilmington, 1985
- Toxicology - the effects of toxic environmental chemical on development, physiology, reproduction
- Toxigenomics - the effects of environmental chemical and other stressors on global gene expression
- Epigenetics - the effects of developmental exposure to environmental chemicals and other stressors on adult disease or dysfunction; these effects are often heritable without change in gene sequences
- Behavioral toxicology - the effects of exposure to low-levels of environmental chemicals and other stressors and how they affect subtle non-lethal endpoints that are critical to survivial
- Gene-environment-disease/dysfunction interactions - species and individuals vary in their sensitivity to environmental stressors and in the vast majority of cases this difference can only be explained by complex interactions between genes and the environment
Liu, Q., J.M. Spitsbergen, R. Cariou, C.-Y. Huang, N. Jiang, G. Goetz, R.J. Hutz, P.J. Tonellato, M.J. Carvan III. 2014. Histopathologic alterations associated with global gene expression due to chronic dietary TCDD exposure in juvenile zebrafish. PLoS ONE 9,e100910.
Larson, J., M. J. Carvan III, R. Hutz. 2014. Engineered Nanomaterials: An Emerging Class of Novel Endocrine Disruptors. Biology of Reproduction 91,1-8.
Flentke, G.R., R.H. Klingler, R.L. Tanguay, M.J. Carvan III, S.M. Smith. 2014. An Evolutionarily-Conserved Mechanism of Calcium-Dependent Neurotoxicity in a Zebrafish Model of FASD. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research 38,1255-65.
Larson, J., M. J. Carvan III, J. Teeguarden, G. Watanabe, K. Taya, E. Krystofiak, R. Hutz. 2014. Low-Dose gold nanoparticles exert subtle endocrine-modulating effects on the ovarian steroidogenic pathway ex vivo independent of oxidative stress. Nanotoxicology 8:856-66.
Liu, Q., M.L. Rise, J.M. Spitsbergen, T.S. Hori, M. Mieritz, S. Geis, J.E. McGraw, G. Goetz, J. Larson, R.J. Hutz, M.J. Carvan III. 2013. Gene expression and pathologic alterations in juvenile rainbow trout due to chronic dietary TCDD exposure. Aquatic Toxicology 140-141C:356-68.
Liu, Q., N Basu, G. Goetz, N. Jiang, R.J. Hutz, P.J. Tonellato, M.J. Carvan III. 2013. Differential gene expression associated with dietary methylmercury (MeHg) exposure in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) and zebrafish (Danio rerio). Ecotoxicology 22:740-51.
Toxicology, toxicogenomics, epigenetics, behavioral toxicology, gene-environment-disease/dysfunction interactions