About the Women’s Resource Center (WRC)
The Women’s Resource Center (WRC) is an open and safe space that focuses on empowering womxn, ending gender violence, and establishing gender equity.
We use an intersectional lens to advocate for the education, empowerment and agency of womxn-identified students. Our vision is equality for all students.
What We Do
- The WRC coordinates large and small programs related to womxn’s empowerment, raising awareness about gender-based issues, feminism and social justice, with the goal of establishing gender equity for all. We partner with many offices/centers and student orgs on campus well as with our community partners.
- We also coordinate the Ambassador Program, which allows students to develop professional and leadership skills, connect with the WRC and other students on campus, and learn more about how to apply feminism to their everyday lives!
Services and Resources
- The WRC is an open, safe space where students can hang out, relax, study, and meet new people!
- We offer free safer sex supplies (condoms, dental dams, lube) and free menstrual hygiene products (pads, liners, tampons).
- We have a Lending Library with hundreds of books and resources.
- We partner with the UWM Food Center and Pantry and can help students access the Food Pantry during office hours.
- We also have access to the Lactation Room in the Student Union (WG23) for folks who are nursing/lactating.
- The WRC also connects students to on-campus and community resources, if needed. We also assist in supporting students who have experienced sexual violence.
The WRC and Gender
- We strive to create a space where everyone feels welcome and supported in the WRC!
- All students are welcome to use our space and access our resources.
- At the WRC, we work to avoid replicating systems and language that renders transgender and gender non binary folx marginalized and invisible. We have made the decision to keep the word “women” in the Center’s title to hold ourselves accountable as we unpack the binary ways gender is usually addressed, become more gender inclusive and ensure that our work respects and upholds the dignity of everyone.
- We use “womxn” with an x to indicate inclusivity for multiple identities (including but not limited to: womxn-identified folks, transgender folks, femmes and non-binary/gender-nonconforming folks). This is because there are many ways to express and embody femininity and that womanhood looks differently and means something different for everyone!
For more information about the WRC, read our FAQs, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
UWM Women’s Resource Center
2200 E. Kenwood Blvd.
Milwaukee, WI 53211-3361
Centers for Advocacy and Student Engagement (CASE)
The WRC is a member of the Centers for Student Advocacy and Engagement (CASE)
The members of CASE include the Inclusive Excellence Center (IEC), the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Queer + Resource Center (LGBTQ+RC), Military and Veteran’s Resource Center (MAVRC), and the Women’s Resources Center (WRC). Each of these Centers serve students by creating spaces, programs and resources that support each student’s journey through UWM.
CASE SHARED VALUES
Advocate for Students – Work to engage and uplift the voices of underrepresented, marginalized and minoritized student communities at UWM.
Create an Affirming Environment – Through programming, services, education, and policies, CASE members foster a sense of belonging and community accountability advancing systemic change.
Care – Creating a respectful, compassionate, trusting environment that celebrates success and fosters the health and well-being of the collective staff to better serve our students.