The goals of Veterans Upward Bound at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee is to:
- Promote the development and opportunities of veterans to reach their full potential.
- Help veterans learn in an environment with fellow veterans who understand their unique needs.
- Respect each veteran as an adult learner, and appreciate their service to our country.
- Find the right career for each veteran based on their abilities and disabilities.
Over 1,950 veterans have graduated from colleges all over the country with the help of Veterans Upward Bound programs.
Transitioning from Military service can seem complicated and overwhelming, but it is not impossible. It is my task as the Director of Veterans Upward Bound (VUB), to help our veterans transition smoothly into life’s next chapter. We advocate for our service members. We are committed to building partnerships that empower our veterans community. I, personally understand transitional struggles, and my experiences fuel my passion for helping service members, veterans, and their families.
At Veterans Upward Bound, we have one goal – to empower our veterans with the necessary resources to successfully transition, enroll, and obtain a proper education. At VUB, we will coach, mentor and help you master your life’s next chapter as a student-veteran and community member.
We believe in a holistic approach to serving our veterans and implement care in the form of – wrap-around services. That means we are a one-stop shop with the assistance of community partners to address all your needs promptly. We provide our veterans with the resources needed to emerge from food insecurity; find successful employment; access stable housing; and facilitate educational training and workshops. In addition, we are helping our participants reach their goals and succeed at all levels. With more than 20 years of service in Milwaukee County, Racine County, Waukesha County, and Washington County, VUB has touched the lives of over 2,800 veterans and their families in real-time.
Our values derive from U.S. Military Values: Loyalty, Duty, Respect, Selflessness, Honor, Integrity, and Personal Courage. Simultaneously Encouraging Personal & Professional Development. I believe these Principles will assist the growth of the state’s economy by providing skilled workers to the labor force and increasing the number of responsible citizens returning from military service.
If what we do at VUB resonates with you, I invite you to join us. We are always looking for skilled people to grow our mission.
Veterans Upward Bound
VUB offers a wide array of services and activities to meet the individual educational needs and aspirations of veterans.
- College preparation instruction and tutoring for math and English skills improvement
- Instruction in other subjects: science, foreign languages, computer skills, study skills, and financial literacy
- Preparation and testing for academic placement exams with Comfit software
- Individualized career assessment and planning
- Application assistance: financial aid, veterans education benefits, Joint Services Transcript
- GED/HSED assistance
- Advisement and assistance with college admission and enrollment steps
- Access to other resources: study area, computer lab, student coffee lounge
- Referrals to additional college and community resources
VUB Students/participants have the opportunity to attend our annual:
- Navy Pier field trip
- VA Beats & Eats picnic
- Veterans Day luncheon
- Veterans Upward Bound completion ceremony
If you are interested in joining the program but want more information before applying, please call our office at 414-251-0431.
Brush up on your academic skills for college success. VUB provides a day and evening schedule (in-person & virtual) of instruction and tutoring to refresh and develop your skills in math, English and more.
VUB staff will tailor a program of skills development based on your test assessments, educational, and career goals that addresses your individualized needs. VUB has flexible learning options and will make every effort to arrange instruction and tutoring that can accommodate your schedule and time commitments.
College-Level English Prep
ComFit Learning Center–Grammar and Reading
The ComFit Online Learning Center helps students master the basics of English grammar.
During scheduled office hours, our math and English instructors are available for additional support, to provide further instruction and help students with math and English questions. Contact us for further information.
Emergency Contact Information
Life threatening situations – Please dial 911
Veterans Crisis Line
1-800-273-8255 and Press 1
Online 24/7/365 at http://veteranscrisisline.net or send a text message to 838225
Homeless or at Risk of Being Homeless
(414) 384-2000 x43583
More Resources: Veteran Services and Resources
Mitchell Hall Suite 185
3203 N Downer Ave.
Milwaukee WI 53211
Veterans Upward Bound
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
P.O. Box 413
Milwaukee WI 53201-0413