The goals of Veterans Upward Bound at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee is to:
- Promote the development and opportunities of veterans to reach their full potential.
- Help veterans learn in an environment with fellow veterans who understand their unique needs.
- Respect each veteran as an adult learner, and appreciate their service to our country.
- Find the right career for each veteran based on their abilities and disabilities.
Over 1,950 veterans have graduated from colleges all over the country with the help of Veterans Upward Bound programs.
VUB offers a wide array of services and activities to meet the individual educational needs and aspirations of veterans.
- College preparation instruction and tutoring for math and English skills improvement
- Instruction in other subjects: science, foreign languages, computer skills, study skills, and financial literacy
- Preparation and testing for academic placement exams (ACCUPLACER)
- Individualized career assessment and planning
- Application assistance: financial aid, veterans education benefits, Joint Services Transcript
- GED/HiSET assistance
- Advisement and assistance with college admission and enrollment steps
- Access to other resources: study area, computer lab, student coffee lounge
- Referrals to additional college and community resources
VUB Students/participants have the opportunity to attend our annual:
- Navy Pier field trip
- VA Beats & Eats picnic
- Veterans Day luncheon
- Veterans Upward Bound completion ceremony
If you are interested in joining the program but want more information before applying, please call our office at 414-229-2607.
Academic Skills Development
Brush up on your academic skills for college success. VUB provides a day and evening schedule of instruction and tutoring to refresh and develop your skills in math, English and more.
VUB staff will tailor a program of skills development based on your test assessments, educational, and career goals that addresses your individualized needs. VUB has flexible learning options and will make every effort to arrange instruction and tutoring that can accommodate your schedule and time commitments.
Books and Supplies
There is no tuition cost to VUB participants. Books and supplies are provided by VUB. Books need to be returned at the end of each semester or when the student terminates participation in the VUB Program.
No Credit is Earned
Classes are not for credit nor are they transferable; they are an opportunity to refresh and develop the academic skills required for success in college. Students who successfully complete the classes will be awarded a VUB Certificate of Completion.
Please contact each instructor for class specific details.
College-Level Math Prep
Assessment and LEarning in Knowledge Spaces, otherwise known as ALEKS, is a web-based mathematics assessment and learning system. ALEKS uses adaptive questioning to quickly and accurately determine exactly what a student knows and doesn’t know in a course.
College-Level English Prep
The ComFit Online Learning Center helps students master the basics of English grammar.
During scheduled office hours, our math and English instructors are available for additional support, to provide further instruction and help students with math and English questions. Contact us for further information.
Emergency Contact Information
Life threatening situations – Please dial 911
Veterans Crisis Line
1-800-273-8255 and Press 1
Online 24/7/365 at http://veteranscrisisline.net or send a text message to 838225
Homeless or at Risk of Being Homeless
(414) 384-2000 x43583
More Resources: Veteran Services and Resources
Mitchell Hall Rm.163
3203 N Downer Ave.
Milwaukee WI 53211
Veterans Upward Bound
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
P.O. Box 413
Milwaukee WI 53201-0413