The goals of Veterans Upward Bound at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee is to:
- Promote the development and opportunities of veterans to reach their full potential.
- Help veterans learn in an environment with fellow veterans who understand their unique needs.
- Respect each veteran as an adult learner, and appreciate their service to our country.
- Find the right career for each veteran based on their abilities and disabilities.
Over 1,950 veterans have graduated from colleges all over the country with the help of Veterans Upward Bound programs.
At Veterans Upward Bound (VUB), we have one goal – to empower our veterans with the necessary resources needed to successfully enroll and obtain a college degree. Applying to a postsecondary degree program can seem daunting and often may appear to be a challenging part of the veteran’s transition. Education isn’t impossible. At VUB, we will teach you to master your life’s next chapter as a student-veteran.
We believe in a holistic approach in serving our veterans and implement care in the form of – wrap around services. That means we’re a one-stop-shop with a diverse portfolio of services. We provide our people with the resources needed to emerge from food insecurity; find successful employment; access to stable housing; and facilitate educational training/workshops. We’re helping our participants reach their goals. With more than 20 years of service in Milwaukee County, Racine County, Waukesha County, and Washington County we have touched the lives of over 2,800 veterans and their families in real time.
Our strategy in business is based on three core principles: Humanism; egalitarianism; and collectivism. We believe in supporting the dreams and ambitions of our veteran’s community and understand that we are stronger together breaking down the barriers of individual silos of treatment and care.
Our value derives from strengthening our communities through education which in turn grows the economy of the state by providing skilled workers to the labor force and increase the number of responsible citizens returning from military service.
As Director of Veterans Upward Bound, I am an advocate, and I am committed to building partnerships that leverage our community resources. My early experience as a veteran struggling for stability after military service fuels my passion to help the families we serve. Please, join us in this effort!
Veterans Upward Bound
VUB offers a wide array of services and activities to meet the individual educational needs and aspirations of veterans.
- College preparation instruction and tutoring for math and English skills improvement
- Instruction in other subjects: science, foreign languages, computer skills, study skills, and financial literacy
- Preparation and testing for academic placement exams with Comfit software
- Individualized career assessment and planning
- Application assistance: financial aid, veterans education benefits, Joint Services Transcript
- GED/HSED assistance
- Advisement and assistance with college admission and enrollment steps
- Access to other resources: study area, computer lab, student coffee lounge
- Referrals to additional college and community resources
VUB Students/participants have the opportunity to attend our annual:
- Navy Pier field trip
- VA Beats & Eats picnic
- Veterans Day luncheon
- Veterans Upward Bound completion ceremony
If you are interested in joining the program but want more information before applying, please call our office at 414-251-0431.
Brush up on your academic skills for college success. VUB provides a day and evening schedule (in-person & virtual) of instruction and tutoring to refresh and develop your skills in math, English and more.
VUB staff will tailor a program of skills development based on your test assessments, educational, and career goals that addresses your individualized needs. VUB has flexible learning options and will make every effort to arrange instruction and tutoring that can accommodate your schedule and time commitments.
College-Level English Prep
The ComFit Online Learning Center helps students master the basics of English grammar.
During scheduled office hours, our math and English instructors are available for additional support, to provide further instruction and help students with math and English questions. Contact us for further information.
Emergency Contact Information
Life threatening situations – Please dial 911
Veterans Crisis Line
1-800-273-8255 and Press 1
Online 24/7/365 at http://veteranscrisisline.net or send a text message to 838225
Homeless or at Risk of Being Homeless
(414) 384-2000 x43583
More Resources: Veteran Services and Resources
Mitchell Hall Rm.163
3203 N Downer Ave.
Milwaukee WI 53211
Veterans Upward Bound
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
P.O. Box 413
Milwaukee WI 53201-0413