UWM Upward Bound Math and Science is an academic support pre-college program funded through the U.S. Department of Education, and sponsored by the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. The program works with students in grades 9-12 to help them realize their potential to excel in math and science, and encourage them to pursue a postsecondary degree in these fields.
Services provided by UBMS include:
- Academic Advising
- Career Exploration
- College Admissions information and application assistance
- Financial aid and scholarship information and application assistance
- Academic Workshops
- College Campus Visits
- Cultural Activities
- Parent Workshops
Academic School Year
- Students attend after school tutoring on the UWM campus at least two day a week.
- Attend scheduled meeting with UBMS advisors to discuss student’s academic performance.
- Other scheduled academic enrichment workshops and cultural activities.
- Students attend classes, tutoring sessions, academic workshops, and educational and cultural activities.
Preferences given to students who are willing to:
- Remain in the program through graduation from high school.
- Participate in the fall and spring tutoring twice a week
- Participate in and complete the six week summer program each year
- Attend all workshops, college visits, academic and social activities.
- Be a U.S. Citizen or a permanent resident.
- Have a household income that meets low-income guidelines established annually by the federal government
- Be a potential first-generation college graduate; this scholar whose parent(s) did not graduate from a four-year college or university
- Be in high school (grades 9-12), and attend and Upward Bound Math and Science “target” high school: (please call our main office for a list of our target schools).
- Want to go to college after high school graduation.
How to Register
Students who are interested in applying for the Upward Bound Math and Science program, must have their parents complete a pre-enrollment form and submit with a copy of their most recent grade report/transcripts. The form may be submitted via email by sending to firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax at 414-229-3643 or by postal mail at PO Box 413 Mitchell Hall Room 205 Milwaukee, WI 53211.
Policies and Fees
Services are FREE to students who are accepted and who:
- Are willing to make a commitment to participate in all tutoring sessions, workshops, field trips, six week summer program, and other activities;
- Are interested in math and science;
- Have an interest in pursuing a college degree
Not only are all services FREE, but participants can also earn up to $40 a month during the academic year and $60 a month during the summer months
Click on the link below to download student application packet.
- Class Attendance Record
- Equipment Request Form
- Final Report Card
- Copy Request Form
- Mid-Term Progress Report
Mitchell Hall Rm. 205
3203 N Downer Ave.
Milwaukee WI 53211
Upward Bound Math and Science
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
P.O. Box 413
Milwaukee WI 53201-0413