Upward Bound Math & Science (UBMS) is a year-round pre-college program for 9-12 grade students to help them realize their potential to excel in math & science; expose them to STEM majors and careers; and encourage students to pursue college degrees in these fields. UBMS students must be a first-generation college student or meet income eligibility guidelines. UBMS is funded through the US Department of Education and sponsored by the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. All services are FREE!
Services provided by UBMS include:
- Individualized Academic Advising
- Career Exploration
- College Admissions information and application assistance
- Financial aid and scholarship information and application assistance
- Academic, Study and Professional Skills Workshops
- College Campus Visits
- Cultural Activities
- Mandatory 6-Week Summer Program
- Parent Workshops
- Bi-Weekly Stipends for Participants – Not only are all services FREE, but participants can also earn up to $40 a month during the academic year and $60 a month during the summer months.
Academic School Year
- Students attend after school tutoring on the UWM campus at least two days a week.
- Attend scheduled meetings with UBMS advisors to discuss students’ academic performance.
- Other scheduled academic enrichment workshops and cultural activities.
- Students attend classes, tutoring sessions, academic workshops, and educational and cultural activities.
- Be a U.S. Citizen or a permanent resident
- Have a household income that meets low-income guidelines established annually by the federal government
- Be a potential first-generation college graduate; students whose parent(s)/guardian(s) did not graduate from a four-year college or university
- Be in high school (grades 9-12)
- Want to go to college after high school graduation
- Attend a target school or live in the target area
- Target schools are: Bay View High School, Casimir Pulaski High School, Milwaukee Marshall High School, Reagan IB High School, Riverside International High School, and Rufus King International High School
- The target area is:
Preferences given to students:
- In 9th and 10th grade
- With a strong interest in math, science or engineering
- Who attend Rufus King International High School, Bay View High School, Riverside International High School, Reagan IB High School, Casimir Pulaski High School and Milwaukee Marshall High School
- Who plan to remain in the program through graduation from high school
- Who participate in the fall and spring tutoring twice a week
- Who participate in and complete the six week summer program each year
- Who attend all workshops, college visits, academic and social activities
How to Apply
To apply to the Upward Bound Math & Science program please download the form below, complete it digitally, and send it back using our online Application Submission.
Mitchell Hall, Suite 205
3203 N Downer Ave.
Milwaukee, WI 53211
Upward Bound Math and Science
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
P.O. Box 413
Milwaukee, WI 53201-0413