M. Estrella Sotomayor
- MA, Foreign Languages and Literature (Spanish Concentration), University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, 1996
- BA, Spanish Literature and Women’s Studies (Certificate), University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, 1994
- Health, Social Services, and Law Enforcement in relation to Hispanics in the U.S.
- Service Learning
- Instructional and Professional Development
- Culture, Gender, and National Identity
- Online Instruction Pedagogy
- Spanish 103, 104, 203 and 204
- Intensive Spoken Spanish 110, 111 and 210
- Advanced Grammar
- Advanced Composition
- Advanced Capstone – Senior Thesis Conversation
- Puerto Rican Culture
- Spanish Weekend Immersion
- Spanish for Health Professionals I
- Spanish for Health Professionals II (On-line)
- Health Issues in the Hispanic World
- Expressing Independence: Politics, Art, and Women in Latin America (Freshman Seminar)
- Bridging the Local and Global: Service Learning Milwaukee and Oaxaca (Overseas Program)
- Language Immersion (School of Business Administration Chile Program)
- EMMPAK Instructional Project (Language Instruction for Company Employees)
Other Relevant Activities
- UWM Study Abroad Program in Madrid, 2010
- Overseas Program, Bridging the Local and Global: Service Learning Milwaukee and Oaxaca (2004-2006)
- Resident Director, The Chile Study Program (2002)
- Organizer, “Teaching Professional Spanish: Challenges and New Directions” (2001)
- Contributor, Curriculum Articulation Project, UW-System (2000-2001)
Awards and Honors
Scholarships and Fellowships
- University of Wisconsin System, Office of Professional and Instructional Development: “Faculty College 2001”
- American Association of University Women Scholarship, 1992
Awards and Honors
- UW System- Women of Color in Education, 2011
- UWM Academic Staff Outstanding Performance Award, 2007
- Sigma Delta Pi Academic Honor Society, 2003
- Phi Kappa Phi- Academic Honor Society, 1996
Writing in a Foreign Language: What Teaching Approach Helps Non-Native Students Acquire Better Writing Skills? Schroeder, C. and Ciccone, A. Eds. Learning in Context: The Diversity of SOTL Inquiry. UWM Center for Instructional and Professional Development, (2006): 21-38
“Milwaukee Transportation Partners.” I-94 North-South Corridor Newsletter. Multicultural Marketing & Communication, 2006.
“Foster and Williams Visual Communication Campus.” Trans. Noé Martínez. Technical Assistance & Leadership Center and Milwaukee Public Schools, 2004.
“Parent Checklist for Finding a School.” Trans. Noé Martínez. Technical Assistance & Leadership Center and Milwaukee Public Schools, 2004.
“A Self-Help Guide: Where to go in Milwaukee for Help with a Drug or Alcohol Problem.” Trans. Wilberto Álvaro and Wilda Rosario. Center for Addiction and Behavioral Health Research: A Wisconsin Non-Profit Public/Private Partnership. 2002.
Leal, Luis. “Mexico’s Centrifugal Culture.” Discourse 18 (1995): 111-121.
Vértice. Dehli, State University of New York Press, 2006.
Spanish for the Professions (Health Care). Prentice Hall, 2001.
Pueblos. Houghton Mifflin Company, 2000.
Civilización y Cultura. Harcourt College Publishers, 2000.