Many visiting scholars are accompanied by their spouses and children while participating in their academic programs at UWM. Spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21 may be eligible for dependent visas.

J-2: Dependent of J-1

Dependents of Foreign Nationals who are at UWM as J-1 Exchange Visitors in the Scholar and Professor categories may apply for the J-2 visa. J-2 dependents have their own DS-2019 documents and may travel independently of their spouse or parent. J-2 dependent children may study at primary and secondary schools and both spouses and children may study at post-secondary institutions if they have graduated from secondary school. J-2 dependents are eligible to apply to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services for employment authorization if the earnings from their work will not be used to financially support the J-1.

Visitor Visa / Visa Waiver

Dependents who will not reside in Milwaukee long-term with their J-1 spouse or parent and who are in the U.S. only for vacation or short social visits may wish to enter the U.S. on the B-2 Visitor visa or using the Visa Waiver Program (where applicable). B-2/Visa Waiver Visitors are not permitted to enroll in a course of study or to engage in employment in the U.S.

A J-1 visa holder’s household members who are not eligible for dependent status, such as cohabitating partners (both opposite or same-sex), extended family members, and other household members, may be eligible for the B-2 Visitor visa and an increased period of admission to the U.S.