The Center for Aging & Translational Research at UW-Milwaukee is seeking a social media intern for the Spring 2018 semester. This person would work closely with the Center staff to create and implement a social media strategy for the Center. This is an unpaid internship, eligible for college credit.
- Create original, relevant and interesting content, planned in advance in a content calendar.
- Promote CATR’s research, education and community outreach on all platforms.
- Share updates and news from within CATR with our online community, as requested from the CATR staff and scientists.
- Engage with the CATR staff and scientists to the extent that you understand the goals and priorities of the Center, and can successfully communicate them to our online community.
- Analyze metrics, observation of trends and adjustment of posting practices to adapt to followers’ interests and engagement.
- Understand target demographics, and identify ways to better reach them.
- Attend events (sometimes during evenings or weekends) to take photos. Camera provided.
- This person would be working independently much of the time, so the ideal candidate would be a self-starter and quick learner.
- Must be a student pursuing a degree in marketing, communications, design, photography/videography, public relations, journalism or a related field.
- Advanced knowledge of management techniques for Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.
- Understanding of “best practices” including tagging, sharing, boosting, etc.
- Basic understanding of Microsoft Office and Google+ programs.
- Basic design, photo & video skills. A strong portfolio of photo & video work will move your application to the top of the stack!
- Creative, flexible, ambitious, and enthusiastic.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Some previous experience in marketing or social media management, or an eagerness to learn.
- Interest in age-related issues, and willingness to expand knowledge and awareness.
- Knowledge of Instagram, Tumblr, Pinterest and other social media platforms, as we are looking to expand our reach.
- Proficiency in Adobe programs (primarily Premiere, Illustrator and Photoshop). An existing Adobe CC subscription is helpful, but not a deal-breaker. We will help make arrangements for any necessary design/management programs you may need.
- Understanding of SEO and Google Analytics.
- Understanding of analytics and relevant management programs (e.g. Hootsuite, TweetDeck, etc).
Qualifications may be flexible for the right candidate. We encourage you to apply even if you do not meet every qualification listed above.
Employment period: Spring semester
Compensation: Unpaid, eligible for college credit.
Hours & Expectations: Hours can be flexible to accommodate the student’s class/work schedule, but will need to be consistent from week to week. You would meet with the CATR Communications Associate 1-2 times per week, with additional communication via email or text as needed. Since much of your work will happen remotely, you’re required to keep an up-to-date content calendar of your posting intentions, and a document logging your time spent on various tasks which may include interviewing, photographing, researching, etc. If you are completing this internship for credit, you must fulfil the requirements set out by your department. (JAMS requires 10 hours/week. Other departments may vary.)
How to Apply: Email a zipped file of the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “CATR Social Media Intern Application”:
- Resume. Should include an email and phone number to reach you.
- Cover letter. Explain why you’d be a great fit for this position. Dazzle us!
- Educational status. Include program, anticipated graduation, relevant courses completed, and current GPA.
- Portfolio. Examples of previous work. Including but not limited to: social media sites you’ve managed (include the timeframe you were managing), videos you’ve created, marketing materials you’ve made, websites you’ve designed, interviews you’ve conducted, etc. If you have a portfolio site, include the URL.
Application Deadline: ASAP (Preferrably before the Spring semester begins!)
Questions: Contact CATR Communication & PR Associate, Meg Zimont at email@example.com.