Funding Opportunities for Urban Studies Programs Students
We encourage USP students and applicants to apply for the following forms of financial assistance available through USP and UWM. For your planning purposes we list the deadlines for the current academic year even though some of these dates have already passed; you may assume they will be similar in the upcoming year but should be aware that they might change.
Funding and Awards Available through Urban Studies
Graduate Teaching Fellows
- Recipients are required to teach a section of UrbStd 360.
- Deadline: TBD, usually at the end of January. Opportunity Announcement circulated in December by USP Director.
Dissertation Research Grant Award
- Award includes up to $2000 to support costs related to dissertation research.
- Currently available only to doctoral students who have defended their dissertation proposals.
- Funded by alumni donations.
- Deadline: TBD, usually at the end of February.
- Maximum of $300 awarded in support of graduate student travel to conference to present research.
- Recipients write short reports included in the annual USP newsletter.
- Funded by Henry W. Maier fund.
- Deadline: Rolling; contact the USP office to apply.
Scott Greer Award for Outstanding Research in Urban Studies
- Cash award of $500 open to participants in the USP Student Research Forum held in April each year.
- Deadline: TBD
Other Funding Sources
Women’s & Gender Studies
- Award amounts range from $1,000 to $3,000.
- Available to undergraduates (no first year students) or graduate students with focus in women’s or gender issues.
- Must demonstrate financial need, supply letters of recommendation, and include a short personal statement.
- Preference to students who have taken at least one Women’s & Gender Studies course.
- Application: Women’s & Gender Studies Scholarships
- Deadline: Contact the WGS main office deadline information.