Congratulations on choosing UWM – we’re thrilled to welcome you to the Panther Family! One of your next steps is to participate in Orientation! Transfer & Adult Student Orientation (TASO) will introduce you to our campus, the network of support you have access to, and to other students. TASO is intended for new students, but parents and families are welcome to attend alongside your student – you can register when your student signs up for TASO.
Are you an International Student? Find your information here!
Orientation is required for Transfer students and Adult Freshmen — you are required to complete the online Orientation course that you’ll have access to immediately upon registration; you are invited to participate in an optional in-person program as well. You’ll make your selections in your registration.
If you have missed the deadline to register for orientation and still plan to attend UWM for Spring 2024, please contact email@example.com immediately.
Note: There is a $150 Orientation fee that all new students are required to pay for attending a TASO Program and/or completing the TASO Course. This fee is used to fund our TASO programs and bring students an unforgettable experience! The $150 Orientation fee is due along with your tuition on the first day of classes and is nonrefundable if you attend a TASO Program and/or complete the TASO Course.
Orientation Registration Steps
You will be invited via email to sign up online for Transfer & Adult Student Orientation (TASO) after you have completed the following items:
Step 1: Get admitted to UW-Milwaukee — review your Admissions Portal for the most up to date status of your application.
Transfer students should meet with their academic advisor to determine if they need any placement tests.
Step 3: Register for Orientation! See directions in the next dropdown item.
How to Register:
Register for Orientation by logging into your admissions portal.
To satisfy the orientation requirement:
- Complete the Transfer & Adult Student Orientation online course. The online course is the required component of orientation that must be completed before enrolling in courses. To fully complete the online course, make sure to complete the post-TASO survey at the end of the course.
- After completing the Orientation Online Course, join us for an optional in-person Transfer & Adult Student Orientation event in January (date TBD). This event allows students to explore campus, resources and connect with staff and other students.
You can register for both the online required course and the optional in-person event via your Admission Portal. Note that the in-person event registration will only be available after you complete the required online course.
Note: It it not required to attend the in-person course and students will not enroll in courses at that program. To enroll/register for courses, students must first complete the online TASO course. Then, New Adult Freshman are required to meet with their advisor and new transfers are recommended to meet with their advisors. After that point, students may register for courses at any time after their enrollment date.
Changing Your Major
Part of your orientation experience is based on the major that you selected when you applied to UWM. You have the ability to change your major up to 10 days prior to your Orientation program in the registration site. We will not accommodate major changes at the Orientation program.
Disability, Mobility, and Dietary Restrictions
We want to accommodate any mobility, disability, or dietary restrictions. If you need an accommodation, indicate this when you register. Please list any accommodations you may need even if you have submitted an accommodation with the university.
Submitting accommodations for orientation does not mean you have submitted accommodations with the university. Please visit the Accessibility Resource Center website to submit a request for accommodations for the academic year.
You are not required to bring a guest, but if you would like to bring family members with you, you are allowed up to 2 guests. We do not recommend bringing small children to this event.
Spanish Language Accommodations
If your parents/guests need Spanish language translation, please visit our Family Spanish Language Orientation website for more information.
If you have experienced any COVID-19 symptoms within 10 days of your Orientation, please do not come to campus. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can share options to make up your Orientation experience. If you are symptom-free, please follow the most up-to-date campus guidelines.
For students attending in-person TASO:
TASO Schedule: Transfer & Adult Student Orientation Spring 2024
The in-person TASO program will be held on campus in January. Students attending the in-person program still must complete the online course so we recommend completing that course before the program.
If you’re joining for an in-person program, consider bringing something to write with, a phone charger, a sweater, and some spending money if you’d like (the PantherShop will be open!). We will also offer campus tours so if you would like to take one, please come dressed to explore campus in mid-January.
All new Transfers and Adult Freshmen:
Regardless of if you are meeting your orientation requirement by completing the online course only or completing the online course and attending the in-person program, all students need to complete the following steps:
Submit Your ID Photo [Required]
Prior to Orientation, you need to submit the photo you would like to appear on your PantherCard. All you have to do is take a photo of yourself and upload it through the GET UWM app, PantherCard’s online management system. Go here to the PantherCard Office website for detailed instructions and requirements for your photo.
Credit Agreement [Required]
Before being able to register for classes, you must complete your credit agreement. You can complete it through your PAWS account, by clicking “Credit Agreement” on your To Do List items.
Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) [Required]
Enroll in multi-factor authentication (MFA). Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) is an additional layer of security that keeps your account safe. With MFA, you will be using something you know (your password) with something you have (your device/smartphone) to confirm your identity. For more details on how to enroll, sign in, and manage your devices please review instructions: https://kb.uwm.edu/54768
UWM Email [Required]
You can access and set up your UWM email 1-2 days after you are admitted. Your email account is through Outlook and you can log in to the Microsoft suite here. Your email address is your ePantherID followed by @uwm.edu (email@example.com). Login with your full email address and your ePanther ID password.
Financial Aid [Optional]
We highly recommend that you schedule a 1-1 appointment to discuss financial aid questions, including how to complete the FAFSA and apply for financial aid if you have not already. You can schedule that appointment here. At in-person TASO, there will be limited opportunity for students and guests to discuss Financial Aid-related questions during Orientation.
All New Transfers and Adult Freshman:
All students must complete the online orientation course in order to enroll in courses. Students will gain access to the Online Orientation courses, hosted on Canvas, as soon as they register for a program. After enrolling in the Orientation course, students will complete all modules including the program evaluation to receive full credit, which will take between 1-2 hours total.
For students attending in-person TASO:
TASO Schedule: Coming soon!
Parking details will be available as the event approaches. Selected covered parking will be provided at no cost to the student or families. Due to limited space, we can only accommodate 1 car per family.
What to bring
- ePanther ID and password (you will need this to enroll in classes)
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Jacket – it tends to be cold in Milwaukee in January!
See Below For Details on Enrolling for Courses
New Adult Freshman and Transfer students are required to complete the Orientation Course before they can register for courses. To prepare to enroll in class, students may look at the schedule of classes for some ideas of what you might want to enroll in. We HIGHLY recommend transfers to meet with their advisors before enrolling in courses and REQUIRE new adult freshman to meet with their advisor.
New Adult Freshman Only:
After you complete the course, you are required to meet with an advisor before you register for courses. You can make an appointment with your advisor by logging into Navigate. Appointment dates, times, and format (phone or Teams Video Conference-download here) will vary between each school/college/unit, please follow their instructions carefully.
It is highly encouraged you make an advising appointment before you register for courses. You can make an appointment with your advisor by logging into Navigate and select “New Transfer” for the appointment type (if applicable), or call your school/college advising office, contact info found here. You will be able to register for courses anytime after your enrollment appointment.
Branch Campus Student transferring to Main Campus:
To connect with your Milwaukee campus academic advisor login to Navigate to schedule an advising appointment before you register for your courses. You will be able to register for courses any time after your enrollment appointment. You are not required to complete Orientation.
- Complete any To Do Items on your PAWS To Do List to ensure a smooth start of the semester.
- Review all of your Orientation materials from your folder and the Student Handbook link provided
- Review the PRIDE Message to set yourself up for success
- Begin your On Campus Job search
- Join Presence to browse student organization
- Check out our Campus Events calendar
- Check your UWM email regularly
- Get excited for Winter Welcome!
- After you enroll in courses, visit the schedule of classes (uwm.edu/schedule) and course catalog (uwm.edu/catalog) to view the major requirements and courses available prior to attending orientation.
What are the Fees I’m paying?
- The $250 New Student Fee you will see on your account is not due until the first day of classes. The New Student Fee is not refundable if you complete the required Orientation course and/or participate in a TASO program. This Fee covers the costs related to your Orientation experience.
What do I need to do before I come to orientation?
- Meet with your academic advisor prior to attending orientation. Your Academic Advisor’s name is listed on the right-hand side of your PAWS homepage, you can contact the advising office to schedule an appointment. There may be an opportunity to meet with your advisor at TASO, but it is not guaranteed. Please select “Yes” in your registration to request an advising appointment.
- See Step 2 Above for more information and steps!
Can family and guests attend TASO with me?
- Families and guests (limit 2) are welcome to attend but they are not required. If family or guests attend TASO with you, there will be portions of the day where you are separated.
Will meals be provided for me during the in-person program?
- Yes! We will provide lunch for students and their guests.
I want to change my major. How do I do that?
- If you have already registered for a Transfer & Adult Student Orientation program and you have not enrolled in courses: Please utilize the major change request form on your admission portal, or email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- If you are enrolled in courses and want to change your major: Contact the advising office of the school/college in which your new major is housed. You work directly with the school/college to get your major changed.
I’m considering waiting to start at UWM until next semester. How do I do that, and should I do it?
- It’s your choice to start classes in the Fall or Spring. If you’ve been admitted for Spring and want to start classes in Fall, you must submit a Term change request form via your admission portal
- If you Term Change and have paid your $150 Orientation Fee for Spring, you will NOT get a refund. Your Spring Orientation Fee charge will be canceled and you’ll get a Fall Orientation Fee charge. The Spring payment you already submitted will then automatically cover the Fall Orientation Fee charge.
- There are many implications to changing terms. To get more information about Term Changes and ask questions, email email@example.com.
When will I be able to sign up for classes?
See Step 5!
The Orientation Requirement
Orientation is an exciting opportunity for you to get familiar with your new community. We’ll show you all the ways you can be a part of the UWM community, make friends, and get support during your time at UWM. Orientation will help you:
- Be able to make informed choices regarding academic, personal and social issues.
- Take personal responsibility for their own success.
- Feel welcomed, comfortable, engaged and excited to be a member of the UWM community.
- Grow in their understanding and respect of others is a diverse community.
- Connect your past academic experiences to the UWM context.
We also hope that you have fun, come willing to learn and meet new people, and expect all attendees to adhere to all university policies during the program.
Orientation is a required program because navigating the transition to college can be challenging. We want you to have access to all the tools, knowledge, and support that you can to make your transition to UWM as seamless as possible. We’re committed to your success and can’t wait to welcome you to your new community!
Remember to use #UWMTASO on Twitter or Instagram to share your experiences!
NOTE: If you are transferring from a UWM Branch Campus (Waukesha or Washington County) to the Main Campus, this program is optional for you since you already completed Orientation at a Branch Campus.