Congratulations on choosing UWM – we’re thrilled to welcome you to the Panther Family! Orientation will introduce you to our campus, the network of support you have access to, and to other students. Orientation is intended for new students, but parents and families are welcome to attend the concurrent Family Orientation – you can register when your student signs up for Orientation.
NOTE: The Orientation Registration deadline for students starting in Spring 2023 was 4 p.m. on 2/3.
Please note the information below applies to students entering UWM in the Spring Semester of 2023. If you are planning on attending UWM for the Spring semester of 2024, please refer back to this website for Spring 2024 information in early October 2023.
Are you an International Student? Find your information here!
Important! The $150 Orientation Fee is paid by all new students (transfer and first-time first-year students) who attend orientation. This fee is not refundable if you participate in orientation. This fee covers the costs associated with your orientation experience (meals, staff pay, gear and giveaways, etc.).
Orientation Registration Steps
Log into your Admissions Portal to take these actions:
- Submit required documents for your application to UWM
- Check the status of your application to UWM
- View your decision letter
- View contact information for your UWM Admissions Advisor
Once you’re admitted to UWM, you’ll be invited to register for Orientation and take other necessary steps.
How to Register for Orientation
Log into your Admissions Portal and find “New Student Orientation Registration“. Select a date and share dietary needs, disability accommodations, and guest registration information.
You will receive a confirmation email after registering. More details about the program will be sent about a week before the event.
New Freshman & Orientation Fee
The $100 New Freshman fee is paid by all new first-time first-year domestic students. This fee covers costs related to the first-year programming available to you during your first year at UWM. If you cancel enrollment prior to the start of this term, you will not owe this fee.
The $150 Orientation Fee is paid by all new students (transfer and first-time first-year students) who attend orientation. This fee is not refundable if you participate in orientation. This fee covers the costs associated with your orientation experience (meals, staff pay, gear and giveaways, etc.).
Changing Your Major
You can change your major up to 14 days prior to your Orientation program. You do this in the registration site. We cannot accommodate major changes at the Orientation program. Please note: Not all academic majors are represented at every Orientation. If you change your major after you register, you may need to select another date.
Disability, Mobility and Dietary Restrictions
We want to accommodate any mobility, disability, or dietary restrictions. If you need an accommodation, indicate this when you register.
You may bring family/guests to Orientation, but it is not required, and you will be separated from your guests for much of the program, including course enrollment. You are allowed up to two guests. Romantic partners or friends are not appropriate guests for this program, and we do not recommend bringing children.
Spanish Language Accommodations
If your parents/guests need Spanish language translation, we can accommodate their needs. Please visit our Family Spanish Language Orientation website for more information.
Complete more than 14 days prior to Orientation. You have three options to satisfy your course placement requirements for Math and English:
*First Year Bridge students do not need to complete Course Placement. If you are in the First Year Bridge Program please skip this step
- Submit your ACT or SAT scores to UW Milwaukee.
- If you have already submitted your ACT/SAT scores with your application, you do not need to submit them again.
- If you have not submitted your ACT/SAT scores, you can request those scores be sent directly to UWM from ACT or SAT.
- If you have a copy of your ACT/SAT scores, UW Milwaukee also has an online form to report your test scores.
- If you do not have test scores, use our free online placement tools in BOTH math and English.
- Math– Panther Math Prep is a free online placement tool that allows you to assess your current math skill level and receive a course placement via an online proctored math placement test in a platform called ALEKS.
- English – UWM offers a free online placement option called Guided English Placement (GEP). The GEP takes about 30-60 minutes to complete.
- If you would like to come to UWM’s campus for testing, there are optional course placement testing times during the dates/times below. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit Panther Math Prep website for more info about these testing options.
- December 15th, 2022: 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM
- January 6th, 2023: 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM
- January 17th, 2023: 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM
Submit the University Housing Contract OR Exemption Form
The Housing Contract and Exemption Form can be completed in the Housing Portal found at uwm.edu/myhousing. For more information, please visit the Housing Website. If you completed a University Housing Contract, you must pay the $100 University Housing Contract Deposit.
Complete Your University Credit Agreement
Submit your High School Transcripts
Work with your High School counselor to send us your final high school transcript once your final grades and graduation date have been posted. Transcripts can be sent by email to: email@example.com or mailed to:
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
P.O. Box 749
Milwaukee, WI 5320
Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA)
Enroll in multi-factor authentication (MFA). Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) is an additional layer of security that keeps your account safe. With MFA, you will be using something you know (your password) with something you have (your device/smartphone) to confirm your identity.
Access your UWM Email
You can access and set up your UWM email 1-2 days after registering for New Student Orientation. Your email account is through Outlook and you can log in to the Microsoft suite here. Your email address is your ePantherID followed by @uwm.edu (firstname.lastname@example.org). Login with your full email address and your ePanther ID password.
Submit Your ID Photo
You will receive your official UWM student ID — your PantherCard– at Orientation. You must upload a photo of yourself to our system at least 48 hours prior to your Orientation date. Guidelines for taking and submitting your photo are available on the PantherCard Office website.
Student and family programs run simultaneously. Please review the schedules listed below:
NSO Student Agenda: NSO Spring Agenda
NSO Family Agenda: NSO Spring Family Agenda
Check Out Class Options in Advance
One of the most important things you will do at Orientation is register for your first semester of classes. An advisor will be there to guide you and ensure you register for classes important for your major. Check out our schedule of classes to see what classes sound interesting to you in case you have room for one in your schedule.
Check the NSO Spring Family Agenda! We recommend you do the following to get the most out of the (optional) Family Orientation program:
- Talk to your student about their academic classes since you won’t be joining them for class registration.
- Bring something to take notes with – we provide a lot of information about resources and programs.
- Provide your email address in your program registration to get on the PantherFamilies email list.
- Have questions prepared for the offices you’ll be hearing from.
- Bring a sweater! Our buildings can be chilly.
- Connect with your student after the program to hear what they learned.
Engage with UWM
Check out the Admitted Student website to see if there are any fun events you’d be interested in joining!
NSO Student Schedule: NSO Spring Agenda
NSO Family Schedule: NSO Spring Family Agenda
When attending Orientation, we ask that you park in the Pavilion Parking Garage located off of Kenwood Avenue (3409 N. Downer Ave.). Do not park in a space marked “reserved.” Vehicles higher than 6’9” will not make the garage clearance.
From the parking garage, Orientation Leaders and signage will direct you to the check-in location. Parking is included in the Orientation Fee and you will be given a pass when you arrive at program check-in.
Due to limited space, we can only accommodate 1 car per family.
After attending Orientation:
- Students will be able to make informed choices regarding academic, personal and social issues.
- Students will take personal responsibility for their own success.
- Students will feel welcomed, comfortable, engaged and excited to be a member of the UWM community.
- Students will grow in their understanding and respect of others in a diverse community.
We also expect that you have fun, come willing to learn and meet new people, and adhere to all university policies during the program.
Use #UWMNSO on your Twitter or Instagram posts during the program to share your experience! (Follow us: uwmnewstudents)
Click here for a map of the UWM campus.
All Orientation attendees are strongly encouraged to wear a face mask covering your mouth and nose during the program. We will be providing free KN95 masks to all participants. We have planned as many activities as possible to be outside. All students will be assigned to their own individual bedroom for their overnight stay and meal times will be staggered. If you are experiencing any symptoms of illness prior to the program, please stay home. We will provide opportunities to make up programs that are missed in the event of illness.
- Review all of your Orientation materials from your folder and the Student Handbook link provided
- Review the PRIDE Message to set yourself up for success
- Begin your On Campus Job search
- Join Presence to browse student organizations
- Check out our Campus Events calendar
- Get in the right frame of mind for college by checking out our topic-based student videos
- Get excited for Winter Welcome!
What do I need to do before I come to Orientation?
- Complete items in Steps #1, #2, and #3 above.
Can family and guests attend NSO with me?
- Family Orientation provides a great opportunity for family members and guests to learn how to support your academic success at UWM.
- Families and guests (limit 2) are welcome, but are not required.
- If family or guests attend NSO with you, there will be portions of the day where you are separated. Some conference sessions and course enrollment are exclusively for students.
- Students add guest(s) to their registration when selecting their NSO date. Registrations can be updated after submission.
What are the Fees I’m paying?
- The $150 Orientation Fee you will see on your account is not due until the first day of classes. The Orientation Fee is not refundable if you participate in Orientation. This pays for all the costs related to your Orientation experience.
- You will also see a $100 New Freshman Fee which is also not due until the first day of classes. This Fee covers many costs related to the first-year programming that will be available to you this year! If you cancel enrollment prior to the start of the term, you will not owe this Fee.
What should I bring with me to NSO?
- ePanther ID and password (you will need this to enroll in classes)
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Umbrella (as needed)
Will meals be provided for me?
- Yes – we will serve lunch to students and families
When will I get my placement tests results and be able to sign up for classes?
- If you completed your course placement requirement 14 days prior to Orientation, advisors will have your results.
- Advisors will meet with you during the program to help select the appropriate courses to take.
- All students will leave the program with a course schedule!
I want to change my major. How do I do that?
- Log into your Admissions Portal at http://uwm.edu/admissionsportal and find the “Change my Major” button! You’ll find the remaining steps in your Admissions Portal.
- Note that not every school/college participates in every Orientation so if you change your major, check that your field of interest is represented on your chosen date.
- Lastly, note that you can’t change your major inside of 2 weeks before your Orientation. If you want to change your major at that point, it’s best to do so after Orientation.
I’m considering waiting to start at UWM until the next Fall. How do I do that, and should I do it?
- It’s your choice to start classes in the Fall or Spring. If you’ve been admitted for Spring and want to start classes in Fall, you must submit a Term Change Request form.
- If you Term Change and have paid your $150 Orientation Fee, you will NOT get a refund. Your first Orientation Fee charge will be canceled and you’ll get a new Orientation Fee charge for the correct term. The payment you already submitted will then automatically cover the new Orientation Fee charge.
- There are many implications to changing terms. To get more information about Term Changes and ask questions, email email@example.com.
The Orientation Requirement
Orientation is an exciting opportunity for you to get familiar with your new community. We’ll show you all the ways you can be a part of the UWM community, find a group of friends, and get help during your time at UWM. Our talented team of Orientation Leaders will guide you through the program and share their stories about their experience on campus. Orientation will help you:
- Be able to make informed choices regarding academic, personal, and social issues.
- Take personal responsibility for their own success.
- Feel welcome, comfortable, engaged, and excited to be a member of the UWM community.
- Grow in their understanding and respect for others in a diverse community.
Orientation is a required program because navigating the transition to college can be challenging. We want you to have access to all the tools, knowledge, and support that you can to make your transition to UWM as seamless as possible. We’re committed to your success and can’t wait to welcome you to your new community!