It is the responsibility of all researchers and teaching personnel using biological materials in research or teaching laboratories to read and familiarize themselves with the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Biosafety Rules and Guidelines.
A printable copy of the Biosafety Manual can be found here: UWM Biosafety Manual
In addition to having the UWM Biosafety Manual on hand, all PIs working in BSL-2 and higher facilities are required to have a laboratory-specific biological safety manual. These manuals must include:
- Laboratory-Specific Biosafety Manual
- Training log for all biological safety training completed by personnel
- Copies of all approved and/ or registered IBC protocols
- SOP(s) for: decontamination of waste, safe sharps handling and disposal, any equipment used in research-including autoclave, biological safety cabinet, flow cytometer, etc. General Blank SOP
- Exposure Control Plan for safe handling/ transport/ exposure control for currently used human pathogens UWM Biological Exposure Control Plan Template
- A copy of the biological inventory (Biological Inventory)
- A copy of the UWM Biosafety Manual
- A signed page identifying that personnel have reviewed all of the materials in the biosafety manual
- If working with bloodborne pathogens (including human blood, tissues, human bodily fluids, and all human cell lines), a copy of the exposure control plan must also be included. Visit the UWM Bloodborne Pathogens Page for more information on training and documentation requirements.
These will be checked annually in the biosafety inspections.