Transfer Student

Wherever you are in your college journey, we welcome all transfer students to finish their degree in the College of Letters & Science. UWM is the #1 transfer destination within the UW-System, and L&S is home to many types of transfer students—students with two-year degrees, adults with many or few credits from years ago, and students who are seeking a better fit than their current university.

The process begins with the transfer application. You should apply as a transfer student if you have any previous college credit regardless of how old those credits are. Application deadlines are August 1 for the fall semester (September start) and December 1 for the spring semester (January start).

If you are interested in one of the undergraduate programs in Letters & Science, we would be happy to answer your questions about the admissions process, your intended major, or your previous credits.

Request an Unofficial Transcript Review

You may request an unofficial transcript evaluation of your previous credits from other accredited U.S. colleges and universities. We are unable to unofficially evaluate transcripts from foreign institutions or unaccredited institutions. Please note that this review can take up to 15 business days. Official evaluations are done after admissions.

Please submit a transcript from each institution you have attended, even if all of your coursework is listed on your most recent transcript. We need to see the original transcript from each institution attended. Unofficial copies of transcripts are acceptable.

Transcript Evaluation

  • Add rows as necessary.
  • Maximum 10 separate PDF and/or DOC files totaling 5MB.
    Drop files here or
    Accepted file types: pdf, doc.
  • If you took AP or IB classes in high school and the test scores are NOT shown on your college transcript, please list all such classes and the scores you received on those tests. Use the + at the end of the row to add additional rows.

Admissions and Financial Aid Information

In general, transfer students are required to have a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA to be considered for admissions. Exceptions are considered for students below a 2.0 when those grades are more than seven years old.

These three offices can assist with questions:


The College of Letters & Science does not offer any scholarships specifically for new incoming transfer students. Once enrolled at UWM, you are encouraged to create a profile in UWM’s scholarship portal to be considered for our scholarships for continuing students. Log into the scholarship portal, answer the questions posed, and upload a copy of your UWM transcript. An unofficial copy of your transcript is acceptable. All students with a 3.4 GPA or higher are encouraged to create a scholarship profile.

UWM’s admissions office occasionally does offer scholarships to incoming transfer students. There is no separate application process for this, and your admissions application materials will be used for consideration.

Advising Appointments and Orientation for Admitted Transfer Students (Summer or Fall 2021)

Transfer students admitted for Summer 2021 should follow the next steps information in your email from the Admissions Office. Orientation is optional for summer students but step #2 below can be followed to schedule an advising appointment.

Transfer students admitted for Fall 2021 need to attend on online orientation before they can register for classes; internal transfers from the Waukesha or Washington County campus of UWM do not need to attend orientation again. Students will also need to schedule an advising appointment with their assigned advisor to select classes.

  1. Sign up for an online Transfer Orientation. Registration is open now.
  2. Schedule your advising appointment at Towards the right-hand side, there is a blue button to schedule an appointment. In the drop down boxes, select:
    • Type of appointment = advising
    • Why you want an appointment = academic advising
    • Options = New Transfer

You will see your advisor’s available days and times. If you do not have an assigned advisor showing up in PAWS (lower right hand side) and it has been more than two weeks since you were admitted, contact Gwyn Wallander at

Contact Us / Ask Us Questions

If you are considering becoming a Panther and part of our Letters & Science family, contact an L&S admissions counselor at you are already an enrolled UWM student with an assigned advisor, contact that individual.

Milwaukee Area Technical College (MATC) Transfer Guides

Many of our students plan to start at MATC in order to transfer to UWM at a later date. Students are cautioned to use these as a guide only, rather than attempting to follow them verbatim without talking to an advisor. Every student has different circumstances, and personalized advice from an advisor can take into account your specific situation. Joel Buschman is a UWM transfer advisor with office hours at the MATC downtown campus. Contact him to schedule an appointment, or contact a Letters & Science recruitment specialist at If the major you are interested in is not listed below, email