Listed below are the requirements for the 3-2 LACUSL BA in Latin American, Caribbean and U.S. Latinx Studies and MA in Translation and Interpreting Studies. In addition to the requirements for the major and the Master’s degree, students must also satisfy all of the university general education requirements and the College of Letters & Science breadth and other degree requirements. Degree requirements will vary depending on when you took your first college class. You are strongly advised to consult both the LACUSL advisor and your L&S advisor to ensure you stay on track towards a degree. Read more about the degree requirements on the L&S Degree Requirements web pages.
- English Proficiency and UWM Oral and Written Communication (OWC) GER – English 102 (fulfills Part A) and one OWC-Part B course.
- Math Proficiency, UWM Quantitative Literacy (QL) GER, and Formal Reasoning – two courses can satisfy all three requirements. Some courses have prerequisites, however, so a student may end up taking more than two total classes depending on his/her placement test scores. Students will usually take Math 103 or 105 AND three credits in either a 200-level or above math course, Philosophy 211, or an approved Letters & Science statistics course such as Pol Sci 390.
- Foreign Language – 4 semesters of a single Foreign Language (or 3 semesters of one language and 2 semesters of another language)(May be satisfied through 4 years of a single Foreign Language in high school.)
- L&S Humanities (HU) – 12 credits
- L&S Social Sciences (SS) – 12 credits
- L&S Natural Science – 12 credits including one lab
- L&S International (Intl) – 9 credits usually accomplished in conjunction with HU or SS courses
- UWM Arts GER – 3 credits
- UWM Cultural Diversity GER – 3 credits usually accomplished in conjunction with a Humanities or Social Science course
- Complete the undergraduate requirements:
- 33 credits with at least 15 in courses numbered 300 or above completed at UWM
- LACS 101 and Latino 101
- LACUSL 680 or LACUSL 699 if 680 is not available
- Two integrated classes chosen from: CompLit 365, CurrIns 550, English 316 with a Latin American subtitle, English 394 with a Latin American subtitle, Hist 372 with a Latin American subtitle, LACUSL 200, LACUSL 300, LACUSL/Theatre 324; Latino/Sociol 423, or LACUSL 699 if not used for the above requirement
- 18 credits of electives chosen from an approved course list; at least two courses must be chosen from the Artistic Expression cluster of courses, at least two courses must be chosen from the Social and Natural Sciences
cluster of courses, and electives may be chosen from the Language and Communication Skills cluster of courses.
See uwm.edu/lacusl for a list of electives.
- Complete the graduate requirements:
- Translation 707, 709, 710, 717, 726, 730, and 820
- 9 credits of translation electives chosen from an approved list