Declaring a Major or Minor

Prospective majors and minors are advised strongly to be competent in written and oral language skills prior to seeking admission to the program.

The Department communicates with students principally through email. Majors and minors are required to check their UWM email routinely. Graduation with a major or minor requires a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 in all communication courses attempted, including transfer work. All courses in the major or minor, with the exception of COMMUN 298, must be taken for graded credit.

Communication Major

A major in communication consists of at least 36 credits in communication courses, including Commun 101, 103, 105, and either 335 (635), 370 or 372. At least 18 of the 36 credits must be numbered 300 or above, 15 of these taken in residence at UWM.

Students wishing to declare a major or minor:

    1. Come to the Department of Communication main office, Johnston Hall, Room 210; or
    2. Visit this page to declare the major in Communication; or
    3. Visit this page to declare the minor in Communication.

For more information call, write or stop by the Department office. You can also email us at