RHC Newsletter October 2017
Panther Foundations For Success: Internship Development Program for BUSINESS, ENGINEERING, MATH/STATISTICS, ECONOMICS & IST MAJORS AND INTENDED-
DEADLINE APPLICATION – OCTOBER 13TH
Here is a wonderful opportunity to apply for an Internship Opportunity with one of the following Corporate Partners of the Panther Foundations for Success: Internship Development Program: Rockwell Automation, Harley-Davidson, Direct Supply, ManpowerGroup, UMB Funds Services, and Associated Bank. YOU MUST BE ENROLLED IN CLASSES FALL 2018 AS AN UNDERGRADUATE STUDENT TO QUALIFY FOR THE PROGRAM.
- Rockwell and Harley-Davidson are looking for Business and Engineering Students, as well as intended
- Direct Supply, ManpowerGroup and UMB Fund Services are recruiting for Business Majors and intended
- Associated Bank, are newest corporate partner is recruiting for Business, Engineer, Economics, Math/Statistics and Information Science Technology (SOIS) majors and intended.
The Panther Foundations for Success program is designed to better prepare you for the transition into the workplace by developing soft skills and provide you with a relevant potential internship opportunity that will compliment your academic learning. The networking exposure with well-known global companies that is provided will set you apart from your peers as you progress towards your graduation date.
The PFS program is designed to provide you with further development and education in the areas of:-
- Diversity in the workplace and why it is important
- Strategies to strengthen your communication skills in professional settings
- How to handle yourself with confidence in a professional setting
- The power of emotional intelligence and the capacity to reason and analyze emotional information
- How to construct a strong resume to stand out among the crowd
- Insight into opportunities available in the corporate environment within your desired major with corporate site visits
- And …. An Internship!!!
There will be an Information Table at the following Career Fairs:
ALL MAJORS CAREER FAIR, OCTOBER 5, 2017 FROM 10:00 – 2:00 PM
Please see attachment for additional information and the application. (PLEASE SUBMIT APPLICATION VIA E-MAIL) The website for the Panther Foundations for Success: Internship Development is www.uwm.edu/panther-success.
LGBT History Month
LGBT History Month was created in 1994 by a high school history teacher in Missouri called Rodney Wilson. The month, which garnered early support from organizations such as GLAAD and the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network (GLSEN), was initially chosen to include the by-then well-established National Coming Out Day on Oct. 11 and the anniversary of the first march on Washington by LGBT people in 1979 on Oct. 14. The month now also includes Spirit Day on Oct. 20, on which people around the country wear purple in support of LGBT youth;Ally Week, a week in which allies against LGBT bullying are celebrated; and the anniversary of 21-year-old Matthew Shepard’s murder on Oct. 12, 1998, which sparked the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act. (Source: https://www.glaad.org/blog/celebrate-lgbt-history-month)
- For a full list of Cine Sin Frontera films check out their website or the pdf below: https://mkefilm.org/calendar/?v=guide-list&f=cine-sin-fronteras
🕯️🕯️Please join the UWM Multicultural Student Council to a Vigil in support of the victims of Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico and the Earthquakes in Mexico.🕯️🕯️
Puerto Rico/ Mexico Natural Disaster Vigil – Thursday, October 12th https://www.facebook.com/events/865183766976722
Have you ever dreamed of studying abroad? But don’t know where to start? Come to a study abroad info session and learn how to get started! You will also get to hear from past students and their experiences!
When: Wednesday, October 4th, 2017
Where: Roberto Hernández Center, Bolton 183
Presenter: Yomarie Castellano (Student Service Coordinator at the UWM Study Abroad Office)