If you have completed a bachelor’s degree and would like to enroll in graduate courses but are not sure about pursuing a graduate degree, enroll as a Graduate Special Student (Non-Degree Candidate). Many graduate-level courses are offered in the late afternoon or evening, enabling the completion of coursework on a part-time basis.
Follow the easy steps below to enroll as a non-degree student and register for classes:
Apply for admission as a non-degree student
- Application will be processed in 3-5 business days. You will receive acknowledgement, a student ID number and e-Panther ID for e-mail.
Review available courses
Register for courses
- Use PAWS (Panther Access to Web Services) to register for classes
- As a special student, courses can be taken upon approval of the individual instructor
Help is always available by calling 229-4040 – The Student Help Desk.
Will credits taken as Special (NDC) Student transfer into a Graduate Program?
If you decide to apply to the master’s program, the maximum number of transfer credits allowable is the higher of (a) 12 semester credits or (b) 40% of the total number of credits required for graduation. To qualify, the work must meet the following criteria:
- Graduate level, from an accredited institution
- Taken within five years of admission to the UWM degree program
- Credits were not used to meet previous degree requirements
- Grade of B or better (B- is not acceptable)
- Approved by your graduate program unit
For more information, including requirements for the Ph.D. program:
Engineering Graduate Program Office
E-mail: Betty Warras