Orientation is shown to enhance student success and to make the transition of starting at an institution of higher education easier. We employ several national best practices at our programs that make them exceptional. Our staff members utilize NODA, The Association for Orientation, Transition and Retention to make sure that we are up to date on everything related to Orientation and Transition programming. Orientation for domestic undergraduate students is managed by New Student Programs within the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
Every undergraduate student will experience a seamless transition to the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee through outstanding Orientation and Transition programs.
New Student Programs is committed to providing all incoming undergraduate students the resources to be successful. We strive to provide excellent customer service and knowledge about the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, including our Branch Campuses in Waukesha and Washington County. We provide intentional and specific Orientation and Transition programs for first-year students, transfer students, and their families.
The Orientation Requirement
Orientation is required because navigating the transition to college can be challenging. We want you to know about all the tools, knowledge and support available to help make your transition to UWM as seamless as possible. We’re committed to your success and can’t wait to welcome you to the Panther community!
Once you’re admitted, Orientation begins right away when you start to learn about support resources to promote your success as a UWM student and know what to expect from your experience at UWM. We’ll work with you to take care of your to do list when you visit campus to enroll in courses. This is an exciting opportunity for you to get familiar with your new community. Our talented team of Orientation Leaders will guide you through the program and share stories about their experience on campus. While you’re here to enroll, you can also expect to:
- Learn how to use PAWS to enroll in courses during future semesters until graduation.
- Address logistical questions and concerns so you can feel confident in your decision to attend UWM.
- Know how to log-in and utilize campus technology, specifically Office 365, and Canvas allowing you to complete required trainings, participate in courses, and communicate with UWM staff and support systems.
- Understand how to access resources to support your individual, holistic success as a UWM student.
Once enrolled, Orientation continues at your own pace through Panther Transition Training via Canvas, UWM’s online learning platform. In this training you will:
- Receive Title IX, FERPA, Free Speech, etc. federal, state, UW System compliance information.
- Consider how and plan to utilize resources to support your holistic success as a UWM student.
- Learn about technology support resources to support your academic success.
- Evaluate your financial plan and take steps toward financial wellness including information on scholarships, student employment, budgeting, and identifying expenses.
- Plan for living arrangements and transportation
Orientation culminates with the Panther Transition Experience which takes place a few days prior to the first day of the fall semester. This program is designed for you to immerse yourself in UWM and interact with resources hands-on. At Panther Transition Experience, you will:
- Build skills to inform bystander intervention and consent to apply in social situations with your fellow Panthers.
- Visit and learn about resources to support holistic well-being.
- Build academic skills and plan for academic success as a UWM student.
- Explore campus and become more familiar with classroom locations, buildings, resource locations, etc.
- and, most importantly officially become a UWM Panther!
Orientation is a required program (for all freshmen; highly encouraged for transfer students) because navigating the transition college can be challenging. We want you to have access to all the tools, knowledge, and support that you can to make your transition to UWM as seamless as possible. We’re committed to your success and can’t wait to welcome you to your new community!