The Chemical Safety Committee (CSC) authorizes use of high hazard chemicals to ensure standard operation procedures development and institute controls to address the risks of these chemicals.
Highly Hazardous Chemicals include, but are not limited to:
- Chemicals listed as Acutely Hazardous Waste,
- Chemicals regulated by Homeland Security under the CFATs regulations,
- Particularly Hazardous Substances
- Select carcinogens
- reproductive toxins
- Substances with a high degree of acute toxicity** **Any chemical displays acute toxicity with an animal LD50 (oral) < 500mg/kg,LD50 (dermal)< 200mg/kg, or LD50 (inhalation) < 200ppm/hr or <2000mg/m3/hr.,
- Anti-neoplastic Drug by NIOSH
- Pyrophoric Chemicals
- Toxic and Corrosive Gases
- Controlled Substances Or DEA list items
- Formaldehyde and Related Chemicals used in animals not for preservation
- Anesthetic Agents (i.e.: carprofen, Isoflurane, MS222)
- Laboratory synthesized chemicals for which a Safety Data Sheet does not exist and there is not hazard information available.