The application deadline for guaranteed full consideration for admission in Fall 2022 is February 1, 2022. However, we continue to accept and review applications on a rolling basis until the process of forming the incoming class is complete (April 15, 2022).
If you are also applying for the AOP fellowship (uwm.edu/graduateschool/aop-guidelines/) please be aware that the Philosophy department must nominate applicants for this fellowship internally. Please inform Professor Miren Boehm (firstname.lastname@example.org) that you are applying for the AOP fellowship.
Please note that the deadline for applications for the AOP fellowship is mid-January this year. Applicants interested in applying for the AOP fellowship therefore should apply well before this date.
Note: Philosophy Department AOP applicants do not need to complete the “Dissertation/Abstract” part of the AOP application. If the application asks, please leave this section blank.
All application materials will be submitted (uploaded) into the Panthera Graduate Admission Application.
Philosophy M.A. Program Application Requirements
- Online application
- $75 processing fee
- Unofficial transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate work may be uploaded to Panthera during the application process. If the applicant is accepted into the MA program, the applicant will then need to send one official transcript to the UWM Graduate School. That specific transcript should recognize the student as receiving a BA/BS degree in some specific field of study. The BA/BS does not necessarily need to be in Philosophy.
- Reasons Statement (For a description of this requirement, please see under “Additional Items” at https://uwm.edu/graduateschool/admission/).
- Note for 2022-23 academic year: Because of the pandemic, the Department does not require GRE scores as part of the application this cycle. However, we ask applicants to submit GRE scores as part of their application if it is not a hardship to do so. If we receive an application without GRE scores, we will assume that it was a hardship for that applicant to supply scores, and we will give that application full and fair consideration in the review process, despite the absence of scores.
- Three letters of recommendation, preferably from academic instructors/advisors who know your academic work well. Applicants will provide the names and email addresses of the letter writers in the online application. We do not have forms for letter writers. Letters should be on official letterhead. Letter writers will receive an email with directions for uploading their letter.
- Writing Sample (2500 – 7000 words).
- Optional Document. Applicants may upload a CV or cover letter if they wish, but this is not required for the application.
International Students should contact UWM’s Center for International Education for additional admissions requirements / costs and should apply as early as possible because it takes more time to process international applications.
Plan ahead to be sure all materials are received on time.
Please visit the Graduate School’s Philosophy Program information to view the requirements for the MA in Philosophy.