The UWM Police Department is increasing patrols around campus and in surrounding neighborhoods and working closely with the Milwaukee Police Department in response to armed robbery incidents on the city’s east side.
A series of armed robberies occurred between Jan. 19 and 21, with three of them in the Upper East Side neighborhood near UWM’s main campus. The victims were not injured. Find more information about this investigation on the UWM Police website.
The health and safety of UWM students, faculty and staff is a top priority. Here are some key safety resources and steps you can take now:
- Download the Rave Guardian App to receive UWM emergency alerts and have access to other safety features.
- Students and employees are automatically signed up for safety alerts via their UWM emails. In addition, they may opt in to receive text safety alerts via cell phone. Students can opt in through their PAWS accounts, as well as add parents’ information so they can also receive the alerts.
- Students can access UWM’s free ride service, B.O.S.S., from 6 p.m. until 2 a.m. daily during the spring semester. The service covers about 6 square miles beyond UWM’s campus.
- All faculty and staff can sign up for safety training through the UWM Police Department and the Dean of Students office. Sessions are offered throughout the semester. Find more details on the safety training program at this webpage.
- Students and employees are also urged to program important safety numbers into their phones:
- UWM Police Emergency line (414) 229-9911
- UWM Police non-emergency line (414) 229-4627
- B.O.S.S. (414) 229-6503