The Grounds Department is responsible for many different aspects of our campus landscape, maintenance, and general appearance year round. Utilizing full-time gardeners and student workers, the grounds crew strives to create a safe and pleasant atmosphere that makes a lasting impression on campus visitors as well as the entire UWM population.
Lawn mowing, planting and watering, tree trimming, and outdoor garbage maintenance are only some of the daily responsibilities of the Grounds crew.
Green Lawn Care
In 2014, the Grounds department initiated a new “green lawn care” program:
- The process begins with aerating all 23 acres of lawn space
- Then the crew applies organic compost and the Milwaukee-made fertilizer called Milorganite
- This procedure eliminates the use of all lawn chemicals
Snow and Ice Removal
During the winter months, the Grounds department is responsible for all snow and ice removal in parking zones and inter-building walkways.
- Coming to work at the height of a snow storm (often in the middle of the night) is a regular occurrence for our Grounds crew.
- The Grounds crew prioritizes snow removal during the winter months. Their goal is to have snow removal taken care of before 7:00 a.m.
Moving services are also offered through our Grounds department.
Surplus pick up and delivery are also services performed by Grounds.
Grounds is instrumental in setting up and breaking down campus events.
- Grounds supplies extra garbage and recycling containers to your event location.
- Tables, chairs, and other supplies are available for event delivery and set up.
- To request assistance for your next event, please submit a request through iServiceDesk.