The Grounds Department is responsible for many different aspects of our campus landscape, maintenance, and general appearance year round. Utilizing full-time gardeners and student workers, the grounds crew strives to create a safe and pleasant atmosphere that makes a lasting impression on campus visitors as well as the entire UWM population.
Lawn mowing, planting and watering, tree trimming, and outdoor garbage maintenance are only some of the daily responsibilities of the Grounds crew.
Green Lawn Care
In 2014, the Grounds department initiated a new “green lawn care” program. Spot treatments are rare, yet do continue as necessary. The goal is to proceed as follows:
- The process begins with aerating all 23 acres of lawn space
- Then the crew applies organic compost and the Milwaukee-made fertilizer called Milorganite
Snow and Ice Removal
During the winter months, the Grounds department is responsible for all snow and ice removal in parking zones and inter-building walkways.
- Coming to work at the height of a snow storm (often in the middle of the night) is a regular occurrence for our Grounds crew.
- The Grounds crew prioritizes snow removal during the winter months. Their goal is to have snow removal taken care of before 7:00 a.m.
Moving services are also offered through our Grounds department.
Surplus pick up and delivery are also services performed by Grounds.
Grounds is instrumental in setting up and breaking down campus events.
- Grounds supplies extra garbage and recycling containers to your event location.
- Tables, chairs, and other supplies are available for event delivery and set up.
- To request assistance for your next event, please submit a request through iServiceDesk.
Lapham Hall New Landscaping
Goal: To redesign and plant the eastern beds in front of Lapham Hall, along Maryland Avenue, to retain healthy pollinator plants that are also easy to maintain and are salt tolerant. The design seeks to maintain appropriate scale, bring color to all seasons, and create an appealing walkway to greet visitors.
|Design||Layout Approved Plan||Complete||Native Roots|
|Site Prep||Harvest Rare Plants||ASAP||Paul/Native Roots|
|Cut all Plant Debris Back/Round Up||Mid-Late October||UWM Grounds|
|Rototill||Late Fall||UWM Grounds|
|Pre-Emergent Spread||Spring (Weather Dependent)||UWM Grounds|
|Grading Soil||Spring (Weather Dependent)||UWM Grounds|
|Planting||Order Plants||Early Spring||UWM Grounds/Native Roots*|
|Planting||May||UWM Grounds/Native Roots/Volunteers (?)|
|*Native Roots oversight, UWM Grounds Contract|