UWM aims to generate discoveries and scholarly outcomes that are recognized within the global research community and have an impact on Milwaukee, Wisconsin and beyond.
You can stay up-to-date on the latest research news by visiting the UWM Report.
UWM also produces an annual Research Report.
In May 2017 a campus team finalized a “Plan for Research Excellence” for campus-wide efforts to advance and grow research at UWM. The team worked diligently over the last year to create this report, which considers the linkages between our research status and educational activities. The team intends to develop the immediate priorities (listed in the opening section) into more detailed action items over the summer with a goal to to deliver a detailed plan for moving these forward by the beginning of the Fall semester.
Drafts of the plan have been reviewed and commented upon by the deans, the Research Policy and Advisory Committee, the Academic Planning and Budget Committee, the Academic Staff Committee, and the University Committee. The Committee of Distinguished Professors also provide input on the plan (as well as having a member on the team). Some of the material has also been presented to school and colleges in various forms in my presentations to them that summarize research rankings, metrics and plans.
The team includes:
- David Crass, Director, Research Computing, University Information Technology Services
- Hobart Davies, Professor, Psychology; Chair of Academic Policy and Budget Committee
- Michael Doylen, Interim Vice Chancellor and Director, UWM Libraries
- Sheila Feay-Shaw, Associate Professor, Music
- Marija Gajdardziska-Josifovska, Professor, Physics; Dean of the Graduate School
- David Garman, Professor, Freshwater Sciences; Associate Vice Chancellor for Water Technology, Research and Development
- Mark Harris, Professor, Geosciences; Vice Provost for Research
- Kathleen Koch, Director, Strategic Initiatives in Research, Office of Research
- Katherine Kober, Pre-Award Specialist, Office of Sponsored Research, Office of Research
- Michael Liston, Professor, Philosophy
- David Petering, Distinguished Professor, Chemistry and Biochemistry
- Nigel Rothfels, Director, Office of Undergraduate Research
- Rachel Schiffman, Professor and Associate Dean for Research, College of Nursing; Associate Vice Provost for Research, Office of Research
- Kyle Swanson, Professor, Mathematical Sciences; Interim Associate Dean for Natural Sciences, College of Letters and Sciences
UWM scientists and students are not just generating ideas, but also translating them into practical application and commercial use, which maximizes their power and impact on the world.