Access to a laptop or computer is essential for your learning. Learning activities may include downloading or streaming video lectures, accessing coursework and taking quizzes in Canvas, participating in course discussions in Blackboard Ultra, or working on group projects via Microsoft Teams, among others. A tablet or phone may not be sufficient for all learning activities.
See our computer and internet recommendations below, along with a list of on-campus resources that can help connect you to the technology you need to succeed at UWM!Computer Recommendations
- Windows 10 computer or an Apple computer running at least OS 10.14 (Mojave)
- Intel Core i5 (or i7) or AMD Ryzen processor
- 8 GB RAM
- 256 GB solid-state drive (SSD)
- 1920 x 1080 (“full HD”) screen resolution
- Webcam with integrated microphone
- Reliable, high-speed internet connection
- 15 megabit per second (Mb/s) or better download speed
- 5 megabit per second (Mb/s) or better upload speed
- Wireless hotspot or tethering from a cell phone will not be sufficient.
Resources for finding technology @UWM
The UWM Tech Store
The UWM Tech Store is your one-stop-shop for technology necessities at UWM. Shop online or in-store at the Panther Shop and find the latest technology from Dell, Apple, and Microsoft along with almost any accessory you could ever need!
The Dean of Students Laptop/WiFi Hotspot Loan Program
In need of a WiFi hotspot or Laptop to complete your coursework this semester? Visit the Dean of Students Laptop/WiFi Hotspot loan program page to see what they can do to help connect you to the technology you need to succeed at UWM!
School and College Technology Recommendations
Depending on your intended major, your school/college may have specific technology recommendations that do not align with the ones outlined above. Talk to your advisor about possible technology recommendations for your specific course load.