The Peer Mentor position exists within the Student Success Center to guide, mentor, and promote the success of new, first time UWM students throughout their first year on the Milwaukee campus. Peer Mentors reach out to the students they will be mentoring for the year and build meaningful relationships with them in order to help them succeed personally and academically. This is done through meeting and chatting with students in person/through video call, via email, or text.
Peer Mentors play a vital role in helping students feel at home at UWM and provide students with knowledge of resources that will help them continue into their second year and beyond. Through a variety of experiences and opportunities, Peer Mentors have the power to make a positive and lasting difference in the UWM community, build friendships, and develop critical leadership and resume-building skills. Be a leader on campus with opportunities to advance within the Student Success Center. Must be a Milwaukee campus student.
- Peer Mentors work with the whole UWM community and therefore, must demonstrate a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion to ensure all students have a positive and tailored experience with their mentor
- Create your own work hours to fit your schedule
- Play integral part in a dynamic team of 40 – 50 Peer Mentors
- Meet face to face with assigned first-year students
- Check-in on assigned students via email or text at least once a month
- Connect students to helpful resources both at UWM and in the community
- Work with assigned students to troubleshoot challenges they may be facing
- Work with a team of other Mentors and a team leader weekly to discuss the role and best practices in mentoring
- Mentors are required to maintain at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA
Mentors are paid $10/hour and work 10 hours a week. Typically, six (6) of these hours are scheduled office hours that take place in the SSC, located in Bolton Hall 120, or online on Microsoft Teams. The rest are flex hours that can be used as needed to complete assigned tasks. All mentors receive an SSC T-shirt.
Hiring Informational Sessions (Optional):
Online – Thursday, March 31, 10:00 am – Sign up to receive a link to the online information session
- In-Person – Monday, March 28, 1:00 pm – Bolton Hall 120