Congratulations on the achievements that have led you to this step in your journey. New Student Orientation marks your entrance into the UWM community, this year, in a new and exciting format! For students starting in the Fall of 2021, Orientation will take place online to protect you and the rest of the UWM community. The process to meet your Orientation requirements and register for your Fall classes is outlined below! There are many opportunities for Families to engage virtually as well.
If you are an F-1 or J-1 Student you also need to complete the F-1/J-1 Student Orientation through Canvas. Please following this link for more information and registration for the orientation if you have not done so already: F-1/J-1 Student Orientation Information Page
Orientation Registration Steps
You will be invited via email to sign up online for New Student Orientation after you have completed the following items:
Step 1: Complete the “Intent to Enroll” To Do List item in your PAWS account. This will confirm your enrollment to UW-Milwaukee.
Step 2: Complete the “Pre-Orientation” To Do List item in your PAWS account. This Pre-Orientation is required for all incoming students.
Step 3: Complete Housing & UWM Course Placement Requirements (if applicable)
|Freshman Student||Transfer Student (Optional)|
|Course Placement||All new freshmen and transfer students that do not have any math or English courses transferred to UWM are required to complete course placement for their math and English courses. Some students will be placed into courses based on test scores you have already provided to UWM and others may need to take free online placement tests. Please read this webpage about course placement requirements for international students to determine if you will need to complete any online placement tests before registering for your courses.||Course Placement will be informed if they will need to take placement tests after communicating with their academic advisor.|
|Housing||Submit the University Housing Contract (and pay the $100 University Housing deposit) OR submit an Exemption Form (may be completed before or after the Course Placement step). For questions regarding Housing, please contact them by visiting their website.||If you are interested in living in University Housing, please follow this link for more information: https://uwm.edu/housing/students/new-transfer-students/|
Step 4: Register for Orientation!
We look forward to seeing you during New Student Orientation!
Orientation is a required program for freshmen and transfer students. See the bottom of the page for details on the requirement. After you register, you’ll immediately receive a confirmation with detailed information and the next steps to complete your Online Orientation.
Changing Your Major
Part of your orientation experience is based on the major that you selected when you applied to UWM. If you want to change your major, you are required to contact your CIE admissions counselor at firstname.lastname@example.org
Families and Guests
You are not required to invite a family member or guest to participate in Orientation, but if you would like, you may input their information into your Orientation registration and they will receive communication directly to participate in Family programming.
Submit Your ID Photo [Required] Prior to Orientation, you need to submit the photo you would like to appear on your PantherCard. All you have to do is take a photo of yourself and upload it through the GET UWM app, PantherCard’s online management system. Go here to the PantherCard Office website for detailed instructions and requirements for your photo.
Credit Agreement [Required]
Before being able to register for classes, you must complete your credit agreement. You can complete it through your PAWS account, by clicking “Credit Agreement” on your To Do List items.
Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) [Required] Enroll in multi-factor authentication (MFA). Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) is an additional layer of security that keeps your account safe. With MFA, you will be using something you know (your password) with something you have (your device/smartphone) to confirm your identity. For more details on how to enroll, sign in, and manage your devices please review instructions: https://kb.uwm.edu/54768
UWM Email [Required]
Your email account is through Outlook and you can log in to the Microsoft suite here. Your email address is your ePantherID followed by @uwm.edu (email@example.com). Login with your full email address and your ePanther ID password.
One of the most important things you will do as part of your Orientation experience is register for your first semester of classes. An advisor will help guide you on requirements for your major, but it’s a good idea to explore classes that fit your interests if you have room in your schedule. You can look at the schedule of classes for some ideas.
Students who have an English for Academic Purposes (EAP) hold in their PAWS account will be contacted by ELA at firstname.lastname@example.org for next steps. For further information or questions, contact ELA at email@example.com or 414-229-5757.
Check out the full array of Family engagement opportunities! We recommend you do the following to get the most out of the (optional) Family Orientation programming:
- Talk to your student about their academic classes since you won’t be joining them for class registration.
- Provide your email address to get on the PantherFamilies email list.
- Connect with your student after the program to hear what they learned.
- Join for additional live, pre-recorded, and interactive Family-focused opportunities!
Engage with UWM
Check out the Admitted Student website to see if there are any fun events you’d be interested in joining!
Complete the Canvas Orientation Module
You will have access to the Online Orientation module hosted on UWM’s online learning platform, Canvas as soon as you register for a program. After being enrolled in the Orientation course, you will complete all modules, videos, and quizzes, including the course evaluation to receive full credit. If this course is not completed, you will not be able to enroll in courses.
Register for Classes
It is required for Freshman and Transfer students to complete the Orientation Course before they can register for courses.
- New Freshman Only: After you complete the course, you are required to meet with an advisor before you register for courses. You can set up an appointment with your advisor by logging into Navigate.
- Transfers Only: It is highly encouraged you make an advising appointment before you register for courses. You can make an appointment with your advisor by logging into Navigate. You will be able to register for courses anytime after your enrollment appointment.
As a result of completing Orientation…
- Students will be able to make informed choices regarding academic, personal and social issues.
- Students will take personal responsibility for their own success.
- Students will feel welcomed, comfortable, engaged and excited to be a member of the UWM community.
- Students will grow in their understanding and respect of others in a diverse community.
Get to Know UWM
There are a huge number of additional opportunities to connect in live, interactive, and pre-recorded sessions! UWM is here to help you have a successful college experience–start here to learn more about your network of support and the resources available to you!
- Check out our full slate of additional virtual programming! Engage in late-night student programming, live Q&A Sessions with University Housing, Norris Health Center, and other campus units, and review our campus resources in our Meet & Greet section!
- Review all of your Orientation materials in Canvas and the Student Handbook
- Review the PRIDE Message to set yourself up for success
- Begin your On Campus Job search
- Join Presence to browse student organizations
- Check out our Campus Events calendar
- Get in the right frame of mind for college by checking out our topic-based student videos
- Get in the right frame of mind for college by checking out our topic-based student videos
Is Orientation held in-person?
- No. Due to COVID-19, students starting at UWM in the Summer or Fall of 2021 will participate in an Online Orientation experience. The details of how to register and what to expect are listed above in Steps 1-4.
Having trouble with technology?
Below are some other UWM technology instruction guides to review:
- Activate your PAWS Account (Video)
- Schedule Planner: Schedule Planner (PDF)
- PAWS: One Stop: Enrolling, Adding, or Dropping Courses
- Canvas: Canvas Support
- Teams: Teams Support
What do I need to do before I come to Orientation?
- Take a photo of yourself for your student ID and submit it through the “Get UWM” app, PantherCard’s online management system. Go to the PantherCard Office website for detailed instructions and requirements for your photo.
- Complete the University Credit Agreement (paws.uwm.edu) listed under the finances section, click “Credit Agreement”. This must be completed to enroll in classes for the upcoming semester.
- Enroll in multi-factor authentication (MFA), this is required for all students. For more details on how to enroll, sign in, and manage your devices please review instructions: https://kb.uwm.edu/54768
- Pay outstanding balances on your PAWS account (in the Finances section). If you have overdue charges and a Bursar’s Hold is placed on your account, this may impact your ability to register for classes.
- Review the schedule of classes online: uwm.edu/schedule.
Can family and guests attend NSO with me?
- Families and guests are not encouraged to participate in the Canvas course, Panther Virtual Hangouts, or Advising Appointments.
- Family participation in Orientation is not required. However, students can add guest(s) to their registration when selecting their NSO date. This triggers an email to families to participate in all family programming.
- Families have access to a variety of programming options, all laid out here. There are great opportunities to interface with our student service units!
I have an EAP hold on my PAWS account?
- Students who have an English for Academic Purposes (EAP) hold in their PAWS account will be contacted by ELA at firstname.lastname@example.org for next steps. For further information or questions, contact ELA at email@example.com or 414-229-5757.
When will I be able to sign up for classes?
- It is highly encouraged you to make an advising appointment before you register for courses. You can make an appointment with your advisor by logging into Navigate.
I want to change my major. How do I do that?
- Part of your orientation experience is based on the major that you selected when you applied to UWM. If you want to change your major, you are required to contact your CIE admissions counselor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I’m considering waiting to start at UWM until the Spring. How do I do that, and should I do it?
- If you are considering waiting to start at UWM until the spring, please contact your CIE admissions counselor at email@example.com.
The Orientation Requirement
Orientation is an exciting opportunity for you to get familiar with your new community. We’ll show you all the ways you can be a part of the UWM community, find a group of friends, and get help during your time at UWM. Our talented team of Orientation Leaders will guide you through the program and share their stories about their experience on campus. Orientation will help you:
- Be able to make informed choices regarding academic, personal and social issues.
- Take personal responsibility for their own success.
- Feel welcomed, comfortable, engaged and excited to be a member of the UWM community.
- Grow in their understanding and respect of others is a diverse community.
- Connect your past academic experiences to the UWM context.
Orientation is a required program because navigating the transition college can be challenging. We want you to have access to all the tools, knowledge, and support that you can to make your transition to UWM as seamless as possible. We’re committed to your success and can’t wait to welcome you to your new community!