UWM Emergency Alert Program
UWM Emergency Alert Program, also known as “Rave Alerts,” provide students, faculty, and staff with notifications via SMS text message and/or email in the event of a campus emergency.
Students are automatically enrolled in the UWM Emergency Alert Program through their UWM email. If a student’s PAWS account includes a cell phone number, they will also receive SMS text message alerts.
Faculty and Staff
Faculty and Staff are automatically enrolled in the UWM Emergency Alert Program through their UWM email. To receive SMS text message alerts faculty and staff must enroll in Rave Mobile Safety.
What is a campus emergency?
A campus emergency is any event that poses an immediate and significant threat to life, health, and property to the campus community. Emergencies require urgent action to respond to, lessen, or avert potential impacts.
What are UWM Emergency Alerts?
A UWM emergency alert is any message (text and/or email) pertaining to an emergency, such as alerts, situational updates as the response progresses, all-clear messages announcing an incident’s conclusion, and post-incident updates or instructions about recovery actions.
Examples of UWM Emergency Alerts
- Active threat to life safety of the UWM campus community
- Criminal activity that poses an immediate and significant threat to life, health, and/or property to the campus community
- National Weather Service Warning – weather conditions pose a threat to life or property and people need to take protective action (NWS warnings)
- Campus Closed messages due to an imminent weather threat
- Post-disaster assistance information or relief instructions
- Alerts for time-sensitive, critical operational incidents like power outages or life-safety equipment failures
UWM Emergency Alerts are NOT Administration Messages
An administrative message is any message pertaining to a planned event, such as event announcements, status updates, reminders, and after-event messages. Weather watches and other messages sent ahead of potential emergency situations are also administrative messages, because at the time of sending, there is no risk to life, safety and/or property, and their required response actions are not yet urgent enough to meet emergency criteria. UWM administrative messages are sent via UWM email.