Campus units making their promotion plans for next school year should consider donating items for the University-Neighborhood Initiative to Engage (UNITE), the annual outreach to off-campus students living near campus, scheduled this year for Sept. 1.
On that day, university staff welcome students back to the neighborhood by delivering goody bags full of giveaways, coupons, events notices and resources from campus and community partners. In the past, about 1,000 bags have been delivered, but this year’s goal is 2,000.
Contributions should be engaging and action-oriented, and giveaway items such as T-shirts, keychains or something similar are preferred. At minimum, contributions should be a flyer with events, deals or discounts listed.
Contribution examples from past years include items such as magnets, headbands, pens, calendars, carabiners, stickers and laptop clings.
Please adhere to the following guidelines as you consider your contribution:
- Quantity of 2,000
- Action-oriented and/or engaging
- Lightweight (heavy items such as ceramic coffee mugs weigh down the bags and make them difficult for volunteers to carry)
- Must fit in a 12×12 inch string bag
- No general office brochures or business cards
In addition to the contributions, each bag will already contain:
- Welcome letter
- UWM safety magnet
- Handouts on being safe in the neighborhood
- Family Weekend information
- Off-Campus Student To Do List
- Coupons from local businesses
- Fall Welcome schedule
Please contact Carmen at email@example.com by June 1 with your contribution plan. (If you don’t know what you will have yet, that’s OK.) That same contact can be used for questions.