Be a considerate off-campus neighbor and dispose of waste the right way and avoid fines. If you dump furniture at the curb during move-out, you could be fined up to $5,000. And if you see someone illegally dumping furniture, you could be rewarded up to $1,000 from the City of Milwaukee.
Here’s what to do if you need to unload that heavy furniture or other bulky household items during move-out:
- Regular Garbage Collection Day: 1 cubic yard of bulky items (the size of a recliner) may be put at your regular collection point for pickup on your regular day.
- Project Clean & Green: A city-wide program that offers coordinated clean-up. Collection crews will be near campus from May 17-21 and will collect up to 6 cubic yards per property of unwanted furniture, mattresses or household items, and garden/yard debris in paper yard waste bags.
- Contact DPW for a Special Pickup: Place items at your collection point and then request a special pickup online or call 414-286-2489. Fee is $50 for 1-4 cubic yards and $150 for 4-6 cubic yards.
- Take items to a Drop Off Center: Drop off bulky waste items at a Drop Off Center (fees may apply). You can also dispose of electronics, appliances and tires for recycling.
- Household Hazardous Waste Disposal: MMSD offers year-round drop-off and mobile collections. Drop off old and unused household hazardous waste.