Maurice Davies, Deputy Director of the Museums Association, recently wrote a research report about entering the museum profession, and has six recommendations for improving the field.
Do you agree with these recommendations? Are there some that you think Davies missed?
Here’s a quick summary of the six recommendations:
- Museums should provide high-quality volunteering/internships for a wide range of people interested in a museum career.
- There should be a widening of entry routes with employers supporting more traineeships, apprenticeships and internal progression of staff.
- Far greater efforts need to be made to diversify the museum workforce.
- Museum-studies courses need to take greater, more strategic responsibility for their impact on the museum workforce as a whole.
- There needs to be better training and development for new entrants, including those on short-term contracts.
- AMA could play a bigger role.
Read the article: The Tomorrow People: Entry to the Museum Workforce