The Chancellor’s Advisory Committee for LGBT+ Advocacy was established in 1995. The LGBTQ+ Champion of the Year Award was created by the Chancellor’s Advisory Committee for LGBT+ Advocacy to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the committee’s founding, and to recognize members of the campus community who help make UWM one of the top 25 LGBT-friendly universities in the United States.
The LGBTQ+ Champion of the Year Award is presented at the UWM Fall Awards Ceremony. Nominees can be individuals or groups of UWM faculty members, staff members, or students who fulfill one or more of the following criteria:
- The individual or group demonstrates commitment to improving climate, diversity, and inclusivity at UWM;
- has introduced new or improved existing policies and practices to positively affect LGBT+ students and employees;
- has infused LGBT+ inclusion into existing campus initiatives;
- works to increase awareness of issues that affect LGBT+ individuals;
- provides administrative, institutional, or personal support to LGBT+ campus constituents; and/or,
- engages in advocacy activities beyond the scope of their job duties.
2020 Recipient: Melissa Monier, Assistant Director – UWM Women’s Resource Center
2019 Recipient: Awardee Declined to be Recognized
2018 Recipient: Dr. Gary Hollander, Psychology Adjunct Faculty, founding Executive Director – Diverse & Resilient
2017 Recipient: Dr. Cary Costello, LGBT+ Studies Program and Department of Sociology
2016 Recipient: Kari Dawson, University Housing