Finding an internship that is globally-focused can be complex. To help UWM students navigate this process, the Global Studies Program has developed a list of organizations that offer globally-focused internships as well as a list of companies that facilitate international internship experiences. This list includes organizations with which Global Studies faculty and staff have specifically developed relationships and organizations that students have explored in the past.
Departmental faculty and staff may know of other opportunities that are periodically but not consistently available on campus or in the local area. Speak to your instructors and the undergraduate advisor for your major if that’s something you’d be interested in.
Students are not required to intern with an organization appearing on this list. Students are strongly encouraged to conduct their own research to determine what internships and organizations will work best for them.
UWM and its Global Studies Program is not responsible for arranging the internship contract between students and the organizations with which they are going to intern. UWM also is not responsible for and does not control the acts of any outside entity listed below and does not screen outside entities for compliance with particular legal standards.
Accessibility note: Most links on this page point to external sites.
Spain & Portugal (Coming Soon)
- PSCORE – PSCORE is an NGO based in Seoul advocating for human rights in North Korea and helping defectors adapting to their life in South Korea.
- US Commercial Service – The U.S. Commercial Service in Korea, located in the U.S. Embassy in Seoul, supports the commercial interests of the United States.
- CCRC Asia – CRCC Asia is a global provider of internships abroad. The CRCC global Internship Programs offer one, two, and three-month international internship programs in South Korea and other locations.
- CIEE – CIEE is a full-service study abroad and internship provider in Korea and throughout the globe.
- Global Education Services – Global Education and Services Co., Ltd. (Global E&S) is a fast-growing Korean firm that provides a wide range of services and programs including customized requests, including internships.
- Global Development Solutions – Woman lead grant writing firm owned by an American based in Brazil. Great for students interested in grant writing and international development. These internships are remote, no Portuguese language skills required.
- Projeto Lontra – Projeto Lontra is an otter sanctuary and rehabilitation center. This site offers on-site accommodation and many opportunities for those interested in wildlife conservation, sustainable habitats, and environmental education. English speaking staff.
- Projeto Tamar – Projeto Tamar is a sea turtle rehabilitation and education organization with multiple sites around Brazil. Terrific internship opportunities for students interested in sustainable environments and wildlife conservation. Some Portuguese would be helpful for this site.
- NSC Comunicaçao – is a broadcasting and media company serving the entire state of Santa Caterina, ideal for those interested in careers in communications and journalism. Some Portuguese would be very useful for this site.
- Apuama -is a rafting and outdoor adventures company located in a rural area near Florianopolis, lead by an English-speaking woman founder and owner. Gorgeous setting with housing available. Great site for students who love the outdoors and are looking to learn more about entrepreneurship and the tourism industry.
- Amcred – is a microlending organization that works in multiple locations throughout Brazil. Fantastic opportunity for students interested in communications, management, and access to financial tools and education as a security and equity issue globally.
- Oceanic Aquario BC – Beautiful aquarium with a warm staff, located nearby in Balneário Camboriú, a resort city in the southern Brazilian state of Santa Catarina. Portuguese language skills would be very helpful at this site, perfect for students interested in environmental education, non-profit management, and communications.
- Doctors in Italy Interested in Global Health? This could be a great fit for you. Filomena is great to work with and DII isn’t just for pre-med. There are a variety of potential placements in areas like health care administration, health education, research, program monitoring and evaluation and more.
- Nove Onlus Contribute to a team working with Afghan refugees in throughout Italy. Nove Onlus is small, but mighty and looking for help with interviewing refugees and communications.
- Gustolabs A variety of internship and study abroad opportunities with an experienced provider, specializing in issues pertaining to sustainability.
- Romeing Learn about Rome while writing about it! A great opportunity for budding journalists, writers, bloggers, photographers and other creatives.
- ISI Florence is a full service study abroad and internship provider right in the heart of Florence overlooking the Arno River. A great option for someone interested in completing both study abroad and an internship at the same time, but either option separately is possible. Great accomodation available in shared apartments around the city with a friendly, knowledgeable staff to guide the way.
- Italian Me is a women led Italian language school in the middle of Florence with an incredible view of the city from a rooftop study area. Small and accommodating, Italian Me has an interesting philosophy designed to help students uncover their inner Italian selves while also working to find internships for interested students. A great option for spending a summer working in on your language skills and completing an internship in gorgeous Florence!
- A Door to Italy is a boutique language school in the heart of Genoa. With its cobble stones and hilly landscape sloping down to the sea, there’s only things to love and discover about this historical and picturesque city, not to mention its proximity to the world famous Cinque Terre (coming next week, so stay tuned!). A Door to Italy has a long tradition of internship placements for students, covering a wide range of career interests.
- Sant’Anna Institute A variety of internship options in southern Italy in beautiful Sorrento, the gateway to the famous Amalfi coast.
Global Remote and In-Person Internship Options
*Special note-UWM students are eligible for a discount when working with The Intern Group.
- CRCC Asia Online International Internship Program
- ISA Global Remote Internships
- IXperience — online Courses and Remote Internships
- Sage Corps Remote — intern Abroad From Home
- Virtual Internships
- United Planet — virtual Internship & Volunteer Opportunities
- U.S. Virtual Student Federal Service — academic year internships, no summer opportunities
- The Intern Group Virtual Internship Program*
- Authentica — virtual internship experience
- Barcelona Study Abroad Experience — virtual internships (YouTube Informational Webinar)
- GE Virtuoso: Virtual International Internships
- World Endeavors — virtual international internships
- CAPA Study and Intern Abroad — virtual options
- Pagoda Projects Remote Internships — Greater China, Vietnam, Mexico City and the UK (Manchester)
- Kaya Volunteer Remote Internships — Ecuador, Morocco, South Africa, and Vietnam
- Evolve Abroad Online Global Internships
- Connect 123 Global Remote Internships — Cost under $1,000
- CIEE Study Abroad Programs
- Intern Abroad HQ Remote Internships
- Intern NZ — virtual internship program based in Wellington, New Zealand
- FIE Online Internships
- University Studies Abroad Consortium
- The Washington Center
- The Andean Alliance for Sustainable Development
- German Academic Exchange Service
- Manna Project — Ecuador
- School for International Training Virtual Internships — Jordan, Kenya, Netherlands, Serbia and Kosovo, and South Africa
- Absolute Internship — remote internships
- Campus b
- Child Family Health International — virtual internships
- Translators Without Borders — volunteer experience
- The Center for Community-Based Learning, Leadership, and Research at UWM — local volunteer opportunities some of which may be offer internships credit and work-study job opportunities through the Community Leaders Internship Program (CLIP)
Low Cost or No Fee Alternative Options
- New Local, virtual internship program through the Commons — The Internship Relief Program
- The Center for Community-Based Learning, Leadership, and Research at UWM is finding and creating remote service opportunities for students, faculty, and staff. There is a new webpage on their website specifically for these opportunities, which will be updated weekly. Depending on the opportunity, it may be possible to earn internship credit.Federal Work-Study students are eligible to join the Community Leaders Internship Program (CLIP). Through CLIP, you’ll work with an off-campus employer earning between $10-14.50 per hour. There are a variety of employers who offer a range of job opportunities, and the CLIP staff will help you find the right job to fit your goals. Internships are available in the fields of government, marketing, communication, education, information technology, environmental sciences, human resources, accounting, and much more. Visit the CLIP website for a sampling of internships available.
Please check the CIE Study Abroad website for more virtual program information.