The Office of Charter Schools, as part of its oversight responsibilities, collects a great deal of information on each charter school authorized by UWM. This includes student and staff demographics, attendance, truancy, and discipline data, student, staff, and parent satisfaction indicators, and student achievement data.
The charter contract (PDF) requires each school to cooperate with UWM in regard to research efforts. Specifically, the contract gives UWM researches the opportunity to conduct surveys, test pupils, observe both staff and students, and conduct other research. Further, the contract requires the schools to seek parental approval for UWM research as part of the registration process.
Faculty and students are encouraged to take the opportunity to conduct research at UWM authorized charter schools. For more information regarding the Office of Charter Schools process see our Research Protocol (PDF), Research Request Form (PDF) and the Confidentiality Agreement (PDF) documents. Information regarding the Institutional Review Board (IRB) process can be found on the Institutional Review Board website.
Charter School Data
- Student Satisfaction Surveys
- Special Education
- WKCE Scores
- NWEA MAP Scores: Fall, Winter, Spring (Grades K-12)
- Teacher Satisfaction Surveys
- Faculty Members by Position
- Faculty Mobility
- Years of Experience
- Highest Level of Education
- Faculty Gender & Ethnicity Percentage
- Percent Average Daily Attendance of Faculty
- Classroom Pupil/Teacher Ratios
- Staffing Ratios
- Special Education Case Load
- Staff Satisfaction Surveys
- Staff Members by Position
- Staff Mobility
- Years of Experience
- Highest Level of Education
- Salary Information
- Staff Gender Percentage
- Staff Ethnicity Percentage
- Percent Average Daily Attendance of Staff
- Staffing Ratios
- Parent Satisfaction Surveys
- Parent-Teacher Conference Days & Attendance Percentage
- School Year Calendar
- Days and Hours of Instruction
- Instructional Minutes per Day / Yearly Total / School Day Begin and End Times
- Teacher Total Calendar Days
- Teacher Pre-Service / Professional Development Days
- Enrollment by Year and Grade
- Enrollment by Zip Code
- Special Education
- Enrollment by Grade and Disability
- Transfers In and Out
- Initial Referrals
- Identified from Referrals
- Percent Average Daily Attendance
- Number of Students Promoted or Retained
- Number and Percentage of Students Qualifying for Free and/or Reduced Lunch
- Student Participation in Sponsored Activities
- Student Discipline by Infraction
- Number of Students Habitually Truant
- Number of students Suspended Out of School
- Number of Students Expelled
- Audit Requirements
- Revenue – Total and Per Student
- Revenue – Federal Break Out total and by Student
- Expenditures – Total and Per Student
- Fund Balance
- Insurance Requirements
- Building – Own/Rent, Square Footage
- Lease Rate Per sq. ft. / Lease Annual Cost
- Uniform Required
- Dress Code Requirement
- Lunch / Breakfast Service
- Before/After School On-Site Care
- Laboratory/Science Laboratory
- State the school’s mission.
- State the school’s core beliefs.
- State the board’s vision for the school’s future.
- How does the school determine if it is meeting its mission?
- Provide evidence to show that the school has met or made significant progress toward achieving its mission.
- Provide a developmental history of the school including relations with sponsors, sites utilized by the school, and enrollment patterns.
- Provide information regarding services provided to students and parents beyond the regular school program.
- What it the ethnic mix of the student body?
- What percentage of students qualify for free or reduces school lunch?
- What is the average daily attendance rate of the students over the past three years?
- What percentage of students have been suspended outside of school during the previous year?
- What is the total number of days students were suspended from school?
- How many students were expelled from school in each of the past three years?
- What is the year-to-year mobility rate of students?
- How satisfied are students with the school?
- What have been the school’s major improvement efforts over the last three years?
- What are the results of the improvement efforts?
- What continued action is being considered in regard to the above improvement efforts?
- WKCE results and analysis will be provided by the Office of Charter Schools.
- NWEA, PMAP & MAP results and analysis will be provided by the Office of Charter Schools.
- Provide any other academic results and analysis of results that should be considered.
- How many members make up the school board?
- What are the board leadership positions?
- What is the responsibility of each position?
- How long have members served?
- How are new members selected?
- How does the board develop strategic goals?
- How does the board evaluate progress toward the strategic goals?
- How does the board take action to correct deficiencies?
- How does the board obtain information regarding the school’s progress?
- How does the board evaluate administrators?
- How does the board use the results of administrative evaluations to improve leadership?
- Provide as an appendix all board policies/bylaws.
- Provide as an appendix the latest strategic plan.
- How do leaders communicate the school’s mission, values, and beliefs?
- How do leaders establish a culture of high expectations?
- How do leaders set priorities for school improvement?
- How many members make up the administrative team?
- What are the responsibilities of each administrative/leadership position?
- What is the certification and degree status of each administrator/leader?
- How many years of experience do administrators/leaders have – total, at present school, in present position?
- Describe the process in place for parents to seek information.
- Describe the process in place for parents to make complaints and how the complaints are managed.
- Describe the process in place for parents to provide input to administrators and teachers.
- How satisfied are parents with the school?
- What courses are taught in each grade?
- Is essential knowledge and skills that all students are expected to achieve defined at each grade level?
- How is the curriculum aligned with state standards?
- How are teachers provided with the information to correctly implement the curriculum?
- Do teachers develop unit lesson plans that are in alignment with the defined knowledge and skills and follow those plans?
- Do teachers use the data from the Measures of Academic Progress to determine instructional objectives for each student and groups of students?
- How do school leaders determine if it the curriculum is being implemented correctly at all levels?
- What process is in place to evaluating the effectiveness of the curriculum?
- What procedure is in place to modify and/or improve the curriculum?
- Please provide as an appendix the full school curriculum.
- What model/models of instruction are in place?
- What instructional strategies are utilized?
- How do teachers determine what is to be taught?
- How do administrators evaluate instructional practices?
- How many teachers are employed and in what positions?
- How many years of experience in total and in the charter school does each teacher have?
- What licenses does each teacher hold?
- What is the ethnic make-up of the teacher group?
- What is the mobility rate of the teacher group?
- How are teachers evaluated?
- How is direct support provided to teachers?
- How satisfied are teachers with the school?
At Risk Learners
- How are at risk learners identified?
- What services are provided to at risk learners?
- What screening procedures in place for identifying students and providing them with appropriate intervention?
- How are services provided to at risk learners coordinated?
- What special programs exist to help at risk learners?
Student Behavior Management
- Is a documented discipline policy in place?If so, provide as an appendix.
- What classroom management techniques are routinely used?
- How are minor disciplinary infractions handled?
- For what reason is a student suspended in-school/out-of-school?
- Is a documented student suspension procedures in place?If so, provide as an appendix.
- Under what circumstances can a student be expelled?
- Is a documented expulsion procedure are in place? If so, please provide as an appendix.
- Is a documented school safety program in place?If so, please provide as an appendix.
- How is the content of the professional development program determined?
- Who is involved in making professional development content decisions?
- How are new teachers oriented to the school’s operations and requirements?
- How is the professional development program evaluated?
- Who is involved in the evaluation of the professional development program?
- How are accomplishments of the staff recognized and celebrated?
- How does the school provide for and encourage individual and organizational learning and enable personnel to adapt to change?
- What systems re in place to motivate educate, and train personnel to work effectively in a high-performance work place?
Data Collection, Analysis, & Use
- Is a documented, comprehensive data collection plan in place?If so, please provide as an appendix.
- How are data analyzed?
- To whom are the results of data analysis communicated?
- How are the results of data analysis communicated?
- How are data used to improve student learning?
- How are the security and confidentiality of data maintained?
- What systems are in place to ensure that legal and contractual requirements are met?
- What legal problems has the school faced during the last three years?
- How have legal problems (if any) been resolved?
- What is the process for preparing the annual school budget?
- Who is involved in developing the school budget and what are their roles?
- How often does the school board review the budget during the school year?
- Please provide, as an appendix, actual revenue and expenditures for the past three years and the current revenue and expenditure budget.
- Does the school maintain an operating reserve?
- What was the balance of the operating reserve at the end of the last fiscal year?
- What outstanding debt does the school have?
- What lines of credit have been approved for the school?
- What is the current cash position of the school?
- What outstanding (more than 30 days) bills exist?
- What written policies/procedures exist to maintain internal financial control?
- What recommendations have auditors made to improve the financial accounting system?
- How has the school responded to auditor’s recommendations?
- Describe any planned changes to the school’s structure.
- Describe any planned changes to the school’s educational program.
- Describe any planned changes to school’s governance structure.
- Describe the school’s fiscal and facility issues and how they will be addressed.