Prepare for a rewarding career teaching science in grades 6 through 12 (Early Adolescence through Adolescence – EAA) with UWM’s ABC Pathway To STEM Education Science Teacher Program — MACSTEP 2.0.
Science Teacher candidates experience and participate in hands-on, classroom-based field work and student teaching in middle and high schools. By successfully completing the program, you will meet the Wisconsin teacher certification requirements for grades 6 through 12 (EAA).
ABC Pathway To STEM Teacher Education Program — MACSTEP 2.0 Is Designed For
- Undergraduates who are completing a degree at UWM, or another institution
- Post-baccalaureates (who already have a degree in science, mathematics or engineering) who want to become certified to teach through videoconferencing technology, or attending on-campus courses, or a combination of both.
- Post-baccalaureates who want certification, but also wish to complete many of their credits for a Masters Degree, and finish the M.S. shortly after beginning their first teaching job.
- Post-baccalaureate from anywhere in Wisconsin or Northern Illinois.
- Veterans, active military, Guards and Reserve — this program compliments the Department of Defense Troops to Teachers.
- Teachers on an emergency, or substitute license, teaching at a public or private school, who wish to obtain a science or mathematics teaching license.
For post-baccalaureates, and contracted but unlicensed teachers – If you have a science, mathematics, or engineering degree and wish to obtain a science or mathematics teaching license, or if you are unlicensed and teaching on-the-job, you can join our certification program from any location within Wisconsin and complete the certification program within one year, while working full time. Our highly acclaimed program, MACSTEP 2.0, is now using videoconferencing technology so future mathematics and science teachers can participate in real-time classes from home, or their school, using a camera on their computer, and a reliable Wi-Fi connection in order to Zoom into class.
You will be interacting with a cohort of certification students and the instructors, while working through modules and assignments in order to complete course credits and fieldwork experiences. You can complete fieldwork and student teaching close to where you live, or at your on-the-job school while functioning as an unlicensed contracted teacher.
Why ABC Pathway To STEM Teacher Education Program — MACSTEP 2.0 Science Teaching?
- World class, cutting-edge and research-based teacher education curriculum taught by expert and experienced science educators.
- Become fully equipped to teach in Wisconsin and beyond with a focus on Next Generation Science Standards and high-cognitive demand tasks that engage all learners.
- Quality field experience supervisors and exceptional cooperating teachers.
- Earn your certification in three semesters (summer, fall, spring) with flexible and convenient evening and summer course offerings with cohorts of students and instructors.
- Rigorous preparation for future employment in a variety of settings working with diverse groups of students.
- Perfect for a diverse array of students, including traditional undergraduates or transfer students, career changers who already hold a bachelor’s degree, and master’s degree candidates seeking a license to teach.
How to Apply
Follow the steps listed in the Science Education Undergraduate Program Application (PDF). Refer to the Curriculum tab for more information regarding the program and admission criteria.
Follow the steps listed in the Science Education Post-Baccalaureate Program Application (PDF). Refer to the Curriculum tab for more information regarding the program and admission criteria.
- 2.5 Cumulative Grade Point Average.
- 2.75 Grade Point Average in all Science Content Courses.
- Additional Undergraduate Requirements for Admission, See Academic Advisor.
- Add-on Requirements, See Science Program Director.
Post-Baccalaureate Program and Alternative Certification Pathway
Program Sheet – 3 Semester Sequence
Please contact Dr. Ray Scolavino for information about the science content requirements.
- 2.5 Cumulative Grade Point Average
- 2.75 Grade Point Average in all Science Content Courses
- Additional Undergraduate Requirements for Admission, See Academic Advisor
- Add-on Requirements, See Science Program Director
Explore the Program Further!
Students who already hold a bachelor’s degree can earn their teaching certification by successfully completing our post-baccalaureate teaching certification program. It’s possible that coursework completed as part of your bachelor’s degree could be applied towards our program. Please complete the web form below to find out if any of your previous course work can be used to fulfill certification requirements.
Questions about the program and/or admissions?
Contact a Science Teaching Program Academic Advisor
(Last names A – L) – Andrea Azarian
(Last names M – Z) – Tammy Badura