The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee provides endorsement for teacher certification, pupil services and administrator licenses for the School of Education, Peck School of the Arts, College of Health Sciences, Helen Bader School of Social Welfare, and School of Information Studies.
How To Apply For Your License
- Make sure your legal name, address, phone number, major, minor and concentration are all accurate in PAWS. Contact your adviser if your major, minor or concentration is inaccurate. Any discrepancies in this information will cause a delay in getting your license.
- If applicable, check that your Wisconsin Foundations of Reading Test score is on your transcript. Please note that it takes 4 weeks after you’ve tested for your score to be processed, so plan ahead.
- Create a WAMS account and profile. View the Creating a WAMS Account video for details.
- Fingerprinting: If you have lived outside of the State of Wisconsin after age 17, you must provide fingerprints. Visit the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction (DPI) Fingerprint Requirement webpage to find out how.
- Be prepared to answer the background check questions. Preview the questions here, Background Check for Licensure. If there is some type of misconduct that needs to be reported, prepare and attach a written explanation of what happened. You must also provide complete electronic (scanned) copies of documents associated with the matter that can corroborate / illuminate your explanation of the incident. These may include the criminal complaint, judgment of conviction, police reports, disciplinary letters/findings, correspondence, etc., as applicable. (Note: Court history information printed from the CCAP web site is NOT sufficient.)
For undergrads getting bachelor’s degrees,
- Your degree must be already conferred and visible on your transcript before applying for a license.
- It can take Enrollment Management up to four weeks to process and post your degree. If any questions about degree conferral, contact Enrollment Management.
- 1 – 2 business days after your degree has been awarded, you will be notified via email with instructions to apply for your license using DPI’s Educator Licensing Online (ELO) system.
Post-Baccs, Non-Degree, Graduate Level Candidates
For post baccs, non-degree, and graduate level completers,
- Your final grades must be posted and visible on your transcript.
- If applicable, your graduate degree must already be awarded and showing on your transcript.
- After your grades/degree are posted, complete and submit this web form, Certification & Licensing web form.
- Depending on the volume of applicants, it can take up to four weeks for recommendation to DPI for licensure.
- You will be notified via email with a date to apply for your license using DPI’s Educator Licensing Online (ELO) system.
View the following tutorials for assistance with getting through the ELO system.
Renew Your License
Out of State Licensing
If you plan to move to another state, you will need to check the licensing requirements for that state. The Certification Requirements by State webpage has links to teacher licensing agencies in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico. If you have already moved and need UW-Milwaukee’s signature verifying your program completion, please forward that state’s form to UWM’s certification officer, Kathy L. Berry (email@example.com).
New Student Information
As a new student, we welcome you to the School of Education at UW-Milwaukee!
Thank you for choosing to study with us. We know that there are many options for advanced studies. However, we don’t think that you will find more engaging opportunities to study anywhere. We also think you will find that the faculty and instructors in the School of Education are among the finest.
On this page you will find information about the first steps to beginning your studies with us. You will find information, links and people to contact for more information or assistance. Please take advantage of this page and the information provided.
Thank you and, again, welcome!
License Renewal or Career Change?
Are you looking for courses to renew your teaching license and/or considering a new career path? We can certainly help you with both options. Currently, educators who were licensed prior to 2004 can opt to renew their license by completing 6 credits every five years. Educators who were licensed after 2004 can also take credits as part of their PDP plan and use that to renew your license. You can do these credits for renewal only, or combine them with other courses to complete a certificate or a graduate degree that may open new options in your career.
Rob Longwell-Grice, Coordinator of Recruitment and Scholarship Services for the School of Education, can assist you regardless of your goal. He can help you find courses that will work for your renewal, and talk with you about the different programs and degrees the School of Education offers. If you have questions about any of our programs – be they graduate or undergraduate, degrees or certificates; new or renewal licenses – please contact Rob at firstname.lastname@example.org or (414) 229-3059.
Undergraduate Credit Registration
- To register for Undergraduate credit, you must at least hold a high school diploma or the equivalent.
- When taking a course as part of a job requirement or for advancement on a salary schedule, you should be certain whether graduate or undergraduate credit will be accepted.
Graduate Credit Registration
- To register for Graduate credit, you must have at least a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution and should be registering in a course approved for graduate credit.
- Courses taken for graduate credit may, with proper approvals; be counted toward an advanced degree at UW-Milwaukee.
- No more than nine graduate credits earned in UWM off-campus graduate courses prior to admission to a UWM graduate program may be considered for transfer toward the UWM graduate degree program.
If you are unsure of your student ‘status’ (undergraduate, graduate, non-degree) please contact the Office of Student Services (OSS) for assistance. They can be reached at email@example.com or (414) 229-4721.
Scan and email a copy of your DPI stipulations letter to the certification officer to ensure you receive the right course recommendations; to firstname.lastname@example.org, or fax to (414) 229-4705 with attention to Teacher Certification & Licensing.
Continuing Student Information
Welcome back to UWM!
We are so happy that you have chosen to study with us again. We know that there are many options for advanced studies. We hope your return signifies that you found engaging opportunities to study and that you worked with faculty and instructors in the School of Education who challenged you in positive ways. We would be interested in hearing about your past experiences. If you would like to share your thoughts on your previous experiences, please fill out the feedback form.
On this page you will find information about the first steps to returning to your studies with us as a non-degree seeking student, a graduate or an undergraduate. You will find information, links and people to contact for more information or assistance. Please take advantage of this page and the information provided.
Thank you and, again, welcome back!
For those who are seeking graduate courses in a non-degree status, please visit the Graduate Non-Degree Candidate (NDC) Admission webpage. Here you will find information on application requirements, transcripts and the application process.