|Tuesdays, 6:30–8:45 p.m. (Fall, Spring)||Grades 8–12||Zelazo Center for the Performing Artsemail@example.com|
UWAY provides the regions finest woodwind, brass, and percussion students the opportunity to rehearse and perform the best of traditional and contemporary repertoire in an artistic environment with other likeminded musicians. Students are led by artist-faculty from UW-Milwaukee, and work closely with other musical members of the university community.
UWAY musicians are enrolled in grades eight through twelve and are actively involved in their school band/music program. Artist-faculty from the Peck School of the Arts at UW-Milwaukee lead UWAY rehearsals and performances. They work closely with other members of the university’s vibrant performing arts community to help student musicians further their skills by learning and performing in the university setting. Band directors and private teachers throughout southeastern Wisconsin provide additional instructional support to UWAY.
Registration & Entrance Auditions
Returning UWAY musicians will receive information about re-auditioning during UWAY rehearsals. New UWAY musicians may choose one of four available audition locations. UWAY faculty and staff will evaluate submissions and share results with individuals in late May. Accepted students will receive membership information, placement audition instructions and payment details. Placement auditions will be held on Tuesday, August 29, 2023. Faculty will maintain a waitlist based on the number of openings and quality of auditions.
- Wednesday, April 26, 2023: Muskego High School (2:45-4:15 p.m.)
- Thursday, April 27, 2023: Oak Creek High School (3-4:30 p.m.)
- Tuesday, May 2, 2023: UWM Zelazo Center for the Performing Arts (4:30-6 p.m.)
- Thursday, May 4, 2023: Germantown High School (3-4:30 p.m.)
- Chromatic scale: A two-octave chromatic scale (any starting pitch), performed both ascending and descending. Rhythm or articulation patterns may be determined by the musician. Additional range may be demonstrated if reflective of a musician’s more mature abilities.
- Solo: Any portion(s) from a standard solo or étude, preferably with contrasting musical sections. A recent solo from solo/ensemble festival preparation is ideal. Please perform approximately three to four minutes of music.
- Percussionists: No chromatic scale required. Prepare two short solo excerpts that demonstrate your abilities on snare drum plus one other area of percussion performance. If you don’t have access to percussion instruments please contact us directly.
Details and due dates will be sent along with UWAY acceptance mailings. Payments are non-refundable.
We are glad to assist applicants with reduced registration (scholarship) as demonstrated through stated financial need. Please complete the UWAY Scholarship Form for consideration.
|$370||Returning UWAY Musicians|
|$450||New UWAY Musicians|
|$650||Enrollment in both UWAY and UJAY programs|
October 29, 4:00 pm
The UWM Youth Wind & Percussion Ensembles program (UWAY) opens the 2023-24 season with a program of music for smaller groups and meaningful music experiences. The Moraine Symphonic Band from UWM-Washington County will also perform on this concert, and the ensembles will combine for a Sousa march finale!
December 10, 4:00 pm
The UWM Youth Wind & Percussion Ensembles program (UWAY) presents a concert featuring music that we have traditionally performed during our December performance!
February 25, 2024, 4:00 pm
The UWM Youth Wind & Percussion Ensembles program (UWAY) will perform a concert featuring some of the finest young high-school musicians from all over southeast Wisconsin!
May 5, 2024, 7:30 pm
The UWM Youth Wind & Percussion Ensembles program (UWAY) will perform a concert to celebrate UWAY graduates, feature our annual UWAY Concert Competition Winner, and wrap-up the concert season!