The Prototyping Center
The Prototyping Center provides services to fabricate parts for clients, researchers, and innovators. Center staff supplement high-accuracy tools and expertise in fabrication with experience in engineering and industrial design to oversee ideas for fabricating prototypes. Equipment and capabilities include:
Prototype Design and Verification
Laser Scanning and CMM can map physical complex shapes and translate into electronic CAD models—including complex contoured surfaces—to enable design, quality assurance, and rapid prototyping using 3D printing and machining.
- Faro Arm and Laser Scanner provides a portable system for mapping the profile of any 3-dimensional object to allow initial CAD baseline models, reverse engineering, dimensional verification, and quality control of manufactured parts.
Rapid Prototype Fabrication
3D Printing—FDM uses fused deposition modeling to create parts through additive manufacturing and high-strength biocompatible plastics suitable for tools, toys, housings, mock-ups, ergonomic braces, medical device and dental prototypes capable of making any shape you can think up.
- 3D printer additive manufacturing additive manufacturing using production grade, high performance thermoplastics.
CNC Machining uses computer-controlled software to operate the articulating bed or machining head relative to a material to remove material to fabricate precise geometry of machinable surfaces. CAM-driven software will generate code to operate the machines to cut almost any ferrous or non-ferrous metal, plastic, or other material quickly and with great accuracy.
- CNC 5-Axis Endmill can create nearly any contoured feature and pushes the envelope for what is now manufacturable. This machining center allows for non-conventional shapes to be precisely fabricated where it was once impossible with a 3-axis machine.
- CNC 3-Axis Vertical Endmill will fabricate shapes and parts that a conventional endmill will cut, but quickly, precisely, and repeatably in a controlled environment with flooded coolant for high-speed manufacturing.
- CNC Turning Center can create more than just cylindrically-spun types of shapes with its 4th axis live tooling to compliment conventional lathe functionality to reduce machines needed to create a part.
- CNC Router will make quick work when cutting through softer materials with “3-D” cutting capabilities for large parts to be made from woods, plastics, and foam prototypes.
- 4-Axis Wire EDM will precisely cut through metallic material with an electrode-burning process to remove material to slice through thick or thin metals with very high quality surface finishes from the cut.
- CNC Plasma Cutter for quickly cutting through thick or thin metallic parts.
- Precision Linear Surface Grinder for high-surface quality flat finishes on planar surfaces held to incredibly tight tolerances.
Welding and Fabrication allows for manual welding of stainless steel, titanium, and aluminum.
3D printing and machining can produce nearly anything from cost-effective development models to functional production-quality parts.
Available Machining Materials
- Metals—steels (stainless or ferrous, various alloys), aluminums (various alloys), titaniums, and others.
- Plastics—biocompatible grades suitable for sterilization, applications in food and drug packaging and medical devices; plastics with high heat and chemical resistance and good durability and machinability; thermos-plastics suitable for manufacturing final products with 3D printer.
- Woods and Composites—varieties of wood, foam, MDF cut manually or with the CNC router.
To place an order or for more information please contact:
Director of the Prototyping Center