Changing the World.
The field of sociology is as broad and diverse as the communities being studied.
Sociology examines the organization, structure, and change of social groups and institutions. It combines rigorous methods of analysis to better understand how social systems and group dynamics shape (and are shaped by) individuals and groups. Sociologists think critically about various aspects of society from politics to the family to better understand sources of inequality and to identify remedies for this inequality. Sociology students are often interested in acquiring critical tools to document social trends and discover ways to change social structures.
Get to know us!
Take a virtual tour or view our Undergraduate Admissions info or Graduate Admissions info to start an application today!
- Professor Cary Costello speaks with Wisconsin Public Radio about a wave of anti-transgender activityProfessor Cary Costello was interviewed for the half-hour "Central Time" WPR segment, talking about a surge in violence against trans people, in legislation aimed … Read more
- Sociology PhD Alumni Jenna Nitkowski interviewed about her research on telecontraceptionContraceptive Technology Update is a monthly publication read by reproductive health clinicians, leaders, researchers, and others across North America. "State-level conditions and telecontraception platform availability"
- Professor Jennifer Jordan discusses her Recent Publication with WUWM 89.7 FMProfessor Jennifer Jordan honors legacy of former student with posthumous book publication, called A Social History of Modern Tehran: Space, Power, and the City, … Read more
- Mar31March 31, 2023, 12:00pm - 1:00pm
- Apr4April 4, 2023, 3:00pm - 4:00pm
- Apr12April 12, 2023, 4:00pm - 5:30pm
- Apr14April 14, 2023 - April 20, 2023
- Apr14April 14, 2023, 12:00pm - 1:00pm