connected human figures

Everyone is part of multiple social groups. Your local community, your ethnic group, your religious organization, your workplace, your team, your family - these are all examples of groups to which you might belong. The Sociology minor pairs well with almost any other major since it provides insight into human behavior and group dynamics. Understanding the social causes and consequences of human behavior is beneficial in business, law, urban planning, the arts, nursing and healthcare in general, education, and more.

The Sociology minor is highly flexible - 18 credits in sociology are required but there are no specific required courses. Students can choose from the entire array of sociology courses as long as half of the choices are upper-level courses.

The Sociology minor is available entirely online for students that wish to earn their degree from a distance. All classes required for the minor can be taken online, or students can mix-and-match and take some online and some traditional classes.

Program Type


Program Format

On Campus, Online
Request Information

What pairs well with a Sociology minor?

Sociology is about people so almost any major pairs well with a Sociology minor because every career involves people in some capacity!

These majors in particular find a sociology minor very helpful:

  • Business
  • Human Resources
  • Criminal Justice
  • Marketing
  • Journalism, Advertising and Media Studies
  • Psychology
  • Social Work
  • Communication
  • Economics
  • Urban Studies
  • Women’s & Gender Studies
people walking through doors


Students must complete at least 9 upper-division (numbered 300 and above) credits in the minor in residence at UWM. The College requires that students attain at least a 2.0 GPA on all credits in the minor attempted at UWM. In addition, students must attain a 2.0 GPA on all minor credits attempted, including any transfer work.

The minor in Sociology requires 18 credits in Sociology courses (6 courses), with 9 of those credits in courses numbered 300 or above taken in residence at UWM.

Declare Your Sociology Minor with a Faculty Advisor

Current students already enrolled at UWM who wish to declare a sociology minor may do so by completing the department's online request form. If you are unable to complete the online request form or for any other questions, please email

Letters & Science Minor Advising

Advising for the minor takes place within the department by a faculty member or staff member. Follow the steps using the "Declare a Minor" button on the department’s website which may include instructions on how to select a faculty advisor if there is more than one to choose from.

Students who already have an L&S college advisor because their degree plan is in L&S can discuss the minor with them as well since they will be familiar with any minor in L&S. Students who are working on a degree from a UWM college other than the College of Letters & Science will not need an L&S college advisor for just a minor and one will not be assigned. These students should work with the faculty or staff advisor they receive as part of the minor declaration process or contact the department directly for assistance.

Applicants who have not started classes at UWM yet who wish to declare a minor should wait until they are registered for their first UWM classes and then can declare the minor using the “Declare a Minor” button on the program’s website. If you have questions about the minor before then, contact


Prospective Students (not yet enrolled at UWM)

Prospective students, contact our admissions counselor at or 414-229-7711.

Current Students

General questions such as how to declare, how to change a major, general education requirements, etc. should be directed to the College advising office at or 414-229-4654.

Specific questions about Sociology, such as research opportunities, internship opportunities, major requirements, etc., should be directed to the Sociology Department.