- What kind of computer/memory do I need to use the OT FACT software?
Version 1.1 runs on IBM-compatible computers using Microsoft Windows 95 and Windows 3.1 as well as the Apple Macintosh Operating Systems. Each version of OT FACT requires at least 4 or more megabytes of available RAM. The minimum processor requirements are Macintosh 030, 20 megahertz and IBM-compatible 386, 25 megahertz. Newer faster processors are preferred for optimum speed.
- If I’m not a “computer whiz,” can I successfully use OT FACT?
Yes. OT FACT is user-friendly, and includes an online help manual with straightforward installation instructions and trouble-shooting ideas. However, OT FACT is a significant software package for occupational therapists. To use it effectively requires time and commitment, as does any powerful, productive software program. A full help manual with tutorial ideas can also be accessed while running the program.
- What is the average time to record information and generate a report?
OT FACT generally takes less than 15 minutes to summarize assessment information and only a few minutes longer to run a report. However, times may vary depending on the kind of report you are creating and the complexity of the client.
- I need to use OT FACT when I only have a few minutes here and a few minutes there. Can you move around it quickly without starting at the beginning?
Yes. OT FACT is equipped with both an expert and basic mode to help you easily find where data is missing.
- Does OT FACT specify how I should collect the functional performance data?
No. OT FACT is designed to integrate all the information a practitioner obtains about a client’s performance. The sources of this information may be varied: standardized quantitative instruments; interviews with family members and caregivers; or professional observations.
- How are functional categories scored?
Functional categories are scored on a scale ranging from 0 (total deficit) to 1 (partial deficit) to 2 (no deficit) by making use of a principle called “Trichotomous Tailored Sub-Branching Scoring” (TTSS). For example, if the practioner enters a score of 1 in the category feeding/eating, OT FACT then presents eight component sub-categories such as: sets up food; utensils/tableware; consumes solids; consumes liquids; and uses napkins. The practioner rates each of the categories on the 0-2 scale, effectively creating a 16-point scale for the category feeding/eating.
- How can OT FACT be used to benefit my particular area of practice?
OT FACT works best when used by practitioners who provide comprehensive occupational therapy services. It includes more than 950 categories of function that comprehensively span the areas OT’s address. OT FACT does not replace current assessments. Rather, it summarizes and integrates the full range of assessment information into a single, functional performance file. Also, you can customize OT FACT for specific areas of practice and/or facility’s needs.
- Will OT FACT write my treatment plans based on an automatic analysis of the data?
No. OT FACT will compile data and prompt goals to help you write treatment plans more efficiently. It provides a consistent report format for looking at each client’s performance data.
- Consumer satisfaction and other program evaluation data are important to our program. Can OT FACT be used as part of quality improvement processes?
Yes. In fact, OT FACT has special scoring types, including self satisfaction. See Screenshot 7.
- How does OT FACT deal with assistive technology and environmental specific functional performance?
OT FACT has several types of data collection perspectives. For example, Environment-Free Scoring uses a “medical model” that addresses the intrinsic performance of the individual. Environment-Adjusted Scoring is more of an ecological model which scores performance within the environmental context, including assistive technology.
- What types of data comparison does OT FACT allow?
OT FACT compares up to three assessments at a time in tabular or graphic format. See Screenshot 9.
- What types of reports does OT FACT print?
A variety of reports can be printed by OT FACT. See Screenshot 10 and sample printouts.
- My facility uses electronic record-keeping across a network. Can OT FACT work in this situation?
OT FACT files can be easily stored and accessed from a network. However, it runs best when installed locally on a computer.