Disability Rights for Off Campus Housing

Starting the off-campus housing search process can be stressful and filled with many different questions. For people with disabilities, it is important to know your rights and the resources that can help along the way. At times, finding housing that checks all the areas of affordable, accessible and available can be difficult.

Under Wisconsin law, you cannot be discriminated against for housing based on your disability (Wisconsin Administrative Code-Chapter 220-Fair Housing). The Fair Housing Law protects people’s rights in a rental or purchase of a home. It is unlawful to discriminate against a person in housing because of that person’s protected class, which includes people with disabilities.

According to the Fair Housing Act, landlords have the right to request an Emotional Support Animal letter from a licensed professional when applicant’s request accommodations for their service animal.

What to do if you believe your rights have been violated

  • File a complaint with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development or with a state or local fair housing agency.
  • You must file a complaint with HUD within one year of the last date of alleged discrimination under the Fair Housing Act.
  • Contact a lawyer.

The Accessibility Resource Center works with students for academic accommodations and on campus housing at UWM. With that, we have complied a list of resources around the Wisconsin and Milwaukee area that provide services to help people with disabilities with advocacy, questions, concerns with disability rights for housing.

List you can find below:

Disability Rights Wisconsin

Movin’ Out Inc.

Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development

Metropolitan Milwaukee Fair Housing Council

Written by: Breanna Rehor, M.S. | Access Specialist at the UWM Accessibility Resource Center