Legal Assistance Resources

If you are looking for legal advice, referrals or assistance as it pertains to the legal side of renting off campus, please look through the resources below. We have compiled a list of multiple Milwaukee legal resources that are available to you.

UWM's University Legal Clinic (Legal Advice)

UWM’s University Legal Clinic

UWM’s University Legal Clinic is a free resource to UWM students.

The paralegals and the on-staff attorney of the University Legal Clinic can assist UW-Milwaukee students with various legal issues such as:

  • Landlord/Tenant
  • Underage Drinking
  • Traffic Citations/Accidents
  • Contracts
  • Noise Violations
  • Personal Injury
  • Uncontested Divorce

This is not an exhaustive list. If you are curious to know whether the University Legal Clinic will be able to assist in your particular case, contact them through their website.

Marquette Volunteer Legal Clinic (Legal Advice)

Marquette Volunteer Legal Clinic

The Marquette Volunteer Legal Clinic provides free, brief legal advice and referral services on most civil legal matters. The clinics are staffed by volunteer law students and attorneys. Their services are currently operating remotely.

Cost: Free

Contact Information: Call (414) 278-3965 to request an appointment, or use the appointment request form on their website.

Wisconsin Circuit Court Access (Background Check)

Wisconsin Circuit Court Access

The Wisconsin Circuit Court Access provides access to all circuit court records, including previous small claims proceedings. You can look up landlords or rental companies to obtain a background check on any potential rental-related or safety concerns.

Cost: Free


IMPACT 2-1-1 (Emergency Assistance)

IMPACT 2-1-1 (Emergency Shelter Hotline)

IMPACT helps people take the first step toward changing their life, for good. They assess and guide those experiencing personal crisis toward resources to achieve stability, and collaborate with community partners to foster system improvement. They are available 24-hours a day.

Cost: Free

Contact Information: Call toll-free 1-866-211-3380, text your ZIP Code to 898-211, or visit their website

Fair Housing Council (Illegal Housing Discrimination)

Fair Housing Council

Federal and state laws make it illegal to discriminate against protected classes or engage in unfair or predatory lending practices. The Fair Housing Council is a resource if you feel you have experienced illegal housing discrimination.

Cost: Free

Contact Information: Call (414) 278-1240 or visit their website

DNS Housing Complaints (Report an Issue at your Unit)

Department of Neighborhood Services Housing Complaints

If you are having issues with your unit or rental property (ex. no water), call your landlord or the building’s owner about the problem. The owner information is available using the Department of Neighborhood Services’ Land Management System (LMS). If the owner is unresponsive, then contact DNS to report the issue.

Cost: Free

Contact Information: Call (414) 286-2268 or visit their website

Milwaukee City Clerk/Alderperson (Property Public Records)

Milwaukee City Clerk/Alderperson

The City’s Clerk Office serves as a primary resource for public and privileged access to, and preservation of, current and archival information on Milwaukee’s municipal government and historic properties.

Cost: Free

Contact Information: Call the City Clerk’s Office at (414) 286-2221 or visit their website at

Better Business Bureau (File a Marketplace Complaint)

Better Business Bureau

The Better Business Bureau (BBB) serves to advance marketplace trust by creating a marketplace where buyers and sellers can trust each other. They provide balance by calling out bad business behavior (scams, fraud, etc) and commending good businesses through the BBB Accreditation program.

Cost: Free

Contact Information: Call (414) 847-6000 or visit their website

Legal Action of Wisconsin (Low-Income Legal Assistance)

Legal Action of Wisconsin

The Legal Action of Wisconsin provides free legal services to low-income people who would be denied justice without their help. They deliver top-quality, personalized legal service to every client they serve.

They also offer a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic, to help resolve the tax problems of individuals who cannot afford the help of tax professionals.

Cost: Free

Contact Information: Call (855) 947-2529 for general inquiries or the local office line at (414) 278-7722. Visit their website at

Legal Aid Society of Milwaukee (Low-Income Legal Assistance)

Legal Aid Society of Milwaukee

The Legal Aid Society of Milwaukee provides free legal assistance to low income Milwaukee County residents with civil legal problems. They provide legal assistance on various issues including:

Cost: Free

Contact Information: If you have questions or would like to consult with an attorney, follow their get help guide, or call (414) 727-5300. Visit their website at

State Bar Lawyer Referral Service (Find a Lawyer)

The State Bar Lawyer Referral Service can help you figure out if you need a lawyer, and how to proceed if you do. When you call the service, you will not get legal advice; however, you will talk to a legal assistant who is experienced in analyzing potential legal problems – and in helping you locate the best source of help.

Cost: Free

Contact Information: You can reach the State Bar Lawyer Referral Service by phone at (800) 362-9082 or (608) 257-4666 (in Dane County and outside of Wisconsin). Visit their website at

Milwaukee Bar Lawyer Referral Service (Find a Lawyer)

The Milwaukee Bar Lawyer Referral Service is a free over-the-phone referral service for anyone that has a legal question or is seeking to obtain legal counsel. A trained interviewer will assess your situation and determine the most appropriate way to proceed. Then, they will refer you to either a private attorney, government agency, or community resource, depending on the nature of the legal problem.

Cost: Free (If you are referred to an attorney, the first half hour consultation will cost no more than $20.)

Contact Information: You can reach the Milwaukee Bar Lawyer Referral Service by phone at (414) 274-6768. Visit their website at

Milwaukee Autonomous Tenants Union (Legal Assistance)

The Milwaukee Autonomous Tenants Union is an all-volunteer organization fighting to end housing insecurity and the commodification of housing altogether. Through direct action, they organize to challenge evictions, win demands from negligent landlords, and work towards community control of housing for everyone.

Cost: Free

Contact Information: You can reach the Milwaukee Autonomous Tenants Union by phone at (414) 410-9714. Visit their website at

Wisconsin Law Library