It’s more important than ever to make sure that all people have the knowledge and skills necessary to succeed.
NASA landed astronauts on the moon more than five decades ago, proving that goals once thought to be unreachable can be achieved by overcoming obstacles with determination and teamwork.
If Americans can reach the moon, we have the means address to inequities in higher education.
This is what UWM seeks to do in joining the Moon Shot for Equity. In doing so, we pledge to create equal opportunities to ensure the total elimination of the achievement gap by 2030. Building on our history of serving a diverse population in an urban setting and encouraging entrepreneurial thinking, UWM believes that the Moon Shot for Equity is another step to help improve the quality of life for all in southeastern Wisconsin.
UWM formally announced the initiative on October, 21, 2020, with education firm EAB.
By accomplishing a comprehensive set of 18 goals, we will work to reach these overall objectives:
- Eliminate equity gaps in higher education across socioeconomic and racial demographics
- Implement best practices and policies proven to close equity gaps
- Embed change management and implementation techniques in institutional transformation
- Deploy technology and solution concepts to advance equity and reduce bias
EAB’s mission is to make education smarter and our communities stronger. Its goal is to harness the collective power of more than 1,900 schools, colleges and universities to uncover and apply proven practices and transformative insights. And since complex problems require multifaceted solutions, EAB works with each school differently to apply these insights through a customized blend of research, technology and services. From kindergarten to college and beyond, EAB partners with education leaders, practitioners and staff to accelerate progress and drive results across three key areas: enrollment management, student success and institutional operations and strategy.
Moon Shot for Equity partners
Besides UWM and EAB, there are three other founding partners in the Moon Shot for Equity in southeastern Wisconsin:
- Carthage College
- Milwaukee Area Technical College
- University of Wisconsin-Parkside
Each institution will work individually to advance goals on their respective campuses while also collaborating with each other and EAB to share ideas and best practices. We will work together to eliminate common obstacles that prevent students from graduating.
For more information
- Find out more about our specific goals by clicking on the links on the UWM Moon Shot for Equity home page.
- Read this informational handout for a summary of goals both at UWM and for the regional partnership.
- Visit the Status Updates page to see the progress of the project at UWM, along with links to newsletters, guides and best practices.