The Nathan and Pearl Berkowitz Mitzvah Fund
Established December 21, 2012, the Nathan and Pearl Berkowitz Mitzvah Fund (Mitzvah Fund) was created to foster greater understanding among students from various religious, cultural, ethnic and lifestyle student groups, and to engage students in working together to create and implement projects for the benefits of others.
The Mitzvah Fund has been used for student leadership training, gatherings/meetings, materials and publications, competitive grants for student-led projects, and equipment. The Mitzvah Fund has funded the following (not an exhaustive list):
- A student group to the Interfaith Youth Core’s Interfaith Leadership Institute; Aug 2014, 2015, & 2016
- Fun, Food and Faith as part of Fall Welcome 2014
- Sierra Leone Refugee All Stars’ Ebola crisis benefit concert
- Eboo Patel’s Distinguished Lecture Series appearance at UWM in Fall 2015
- “It Won’t Stop Until We Talk” Community dialogue
- The Latino Diversity Festival
- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar’s Distinguished Lecture Series appearance at UWM in March 2017
The Mitzvah Fund Committee decides which proposals are funded from among those submitted. This committee includes UWM students, faculty, staff and community members. All events sponsored by the Mitzvah Fund must recognize the Baye Foundation for its generous support.
For more information about the Mitzvah Fund, please contact Mai Yer Yang of the UWM Inclusive Excellence Center or Thomas Dake.
Mai Yer Yang
Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org