- Engineering & Mathematical Sciences 327
- Professor, Computer Science
- Professor, Biomedical Engineering
- Director, Big Data Analytics and Visualization Lab
- PhD, University of Texas at Austin, 2006
- MS, Institute of Automation, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China
- BS, Department of Mathematics, Peking University, Beijing, China
Dr. Yu’s work is a futuristic mix of medicine and engineering. Using 3-D geometric modeling and image processing he has been able to look at the microscopic mechanism of heart contraction which could ultimately lead to advances in heart disease. He is also developing new algorithms and software tools for other researchers and engineers to automate image processing and geometric modeling.
- Image processing and analysis
- 3D geometric modeling and visualization
- Scientific Computing in Biomedicine
- Z. Yu, J. Wang, Z. Gao, M. Xu, and M. Hoshijima, "New Software Developments for Quality Mesh Generation and Optimization from Biomedical Imaging Data", Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine, 113(1):226-240, 2014.
- J. Wang, Z. Yu, W. Zhu and J. Cao, "Feature-Preserving Surface Reconstruction from Unoriented, Noisy Point Data", Computer Graphics Forum, 32(1): 164-176, 2013.
- Z. Gao, Z. Yu, and M. Holst, "Feature-Preserving Surface Mesh Smoothing via Suboptimal Delaunay Triangulation", Graphical Models, 75(1): 23-38, 2013.
- Z. Gao, Z. Yu, and M. Holst, "Quality Tetrahedral Mesh Smoothing via Boundary-Optimized Delaunay Triangulation", Computer Aided Geometric Design, 29(9):707-721, 2012.
- J. Wang, X. Zhang, and Z. Yu, "A Cascaded Approach for Feature-Preserving Surface Mesh Denoising", Computer-Aided Design, 44(7):597-610, 2012.
- J. Wang and Z. Yu, "Feature-Sensitive Tetrahedral Mesh Generation with Guaranteed Quality", Computer-Aided Design, 44(5):400-412, 2012.
- G. Yao and Z. Yu, "A Localized Meshless Approach for Modeling Spatial-temporal Calcium Dynamics in Ventricular Myocytes", International Journal for Numerical Methods in Biomedical Engineering, 28(2):187-204, 2012.
- Z. Yu, G. Yao, M. Hoshijima, A. Michailova, and M. Holst, "Multi-Scale Modeling of Calcium Dynamics in Ventricular Myocytes with Realistic Transverse Tubules", IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, 58(10):2947-2951, 2011.