- Professor Emeritus, Electrical Engineering
Professor Hanson retired August 22, 2021. He was a leading figure in the field of nanoelectromagnetics and metamaterials. His models have shown that some experimental claims of nanoparticle heating for cancer applications were wrong, further advancing the understanding of this emerging field.
- PhD, Electrical Engineering, Michigan State University, August, 1991
- MS, Electrical Engineering, Southern Methodist University, June, 1988
- BS, Electrical Engineering, Lehigh University, June, 1986
- Nanoelectromagnetics and electromagnetics of carbon nanotubes and grapheme
- Quantum optics and quantum plasmonics
- Metamaterials, nonlocal phenomena
- Electromagnetic wave phenomena in layered media
- E. Forati and G.W. Hanson, “On the epsilon near zero condition in spatially dispersive materials,” New J. Phys. 15, 123027, 2013.
- E. Forati and G.W. Hanson, “Surface plasmon polaritons on soft-boundary graphene nanoribbons and their application in switching/demultiplexing,” Applied Physics Letters 103, 133104 (1-4), 2013.
- E. Forati and G.W. Hanson, “Soft-boundary graphene nanoribbon formed by a graphene sheet above a perturbed ground plane: conductivity profile and SPP modal current distribution,” Journal of Optics 15 114006, 2013. Selected by the editors of Journal of Optics as a Highlight of 2013.
- E. Forati and G.W. Hanson, “A transport model for homogenized uniaxial wire media: three dimensional scattering problems and homogenized model limits,” Phys. Rev. B 88, 125125 (1-6), 2013.
- W. Hanson, M.G. Silveirinha, P. Burghignoli, and A.B. Yakovlev, Nonlocal susceptibility of the wire medium in the spatial domain considering material boundaries,” New J. Phys. 15 (2013) 083018.
- D.E. Fernandes, S.I. Maslovski, G.W. Hanson, and M.G. Silveirinha, “Fano resonances in nested wire media,” Phys. Rev. B, 88, 045130 (1-11), 2013. Editors' Suggestion
- E. Forati and G.W. Hanson, “Interaction of Electromagnetic Waves and Three-Dimensional Wire Media,” IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., v. 61, pp. 3564-3574, 2013.
- G. Lovat, G.W. Hanson, R. Araneo, and P. Burghignoli, “Semiclassical Spatially Dispersive Intraband Conductivity Tensor and Quantum Capacitance of Graphene,” Phys. Rev. B. 87, 115429 (1-11), 2013.
- Y.R. Padooru, A.B. Yakovlev, C.S.R. Kaipa, G.W. Hanson, F. Medina, and F. Mesa, “Dual capacitive-inductive nature of periodic graphene patches: transmission characteristics at low-terahertz frequencies,” Phys. Rev. B. 87, 115401 (1-10), 2013.
- G.W. Hanson, “Modeling of nonlinear, spatially-dispersive plasmas and semiconductors under harmonic excitation,” IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat, v. 61, pp. 779-787, Feb. 2013.
Awards, Honors and Societies
- Professor, Electrical Engineering - University of Wisconsin Milwaukee
- IEEE Fellow
- AP-S Representative, IEEE Nano Tech Council
- Founding Member, MTT-25 Technical Committee, RF Nanotechnology
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation (2002-2007)
- Visiting Scholar, Department of Mathematics, Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia (2006)
- Visiting Scientist, Department of Electrical Engineering, National University of Singapore (1999)
Please visit Prof. Hanson's website for his full C.V.