- University Services and Research 201M
- Associate Professor, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
- Director, Center for Sustainable Electrical Energy Systems (SEES)
- Site Director, Center for GRid-Connected Power Electronic Systems (GRAPES)
Dr. Cuzner leads both the Center for Sustainable Electrical Energy Systems and the Center for GRid-Connected Power Electronic Systems.
Prior to coming to the University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee, Dr. Cuzner worked in industry for 24 years developing systems for power generation, power conversion and variable speed motor drives for both Navy and industrial applications. He is active in various IEEE committees, including serving as chair of the Industrial Drives Committee of the Industrial Applications Society from 2006-2008, participated in development of standards in the area of shipboard power conversion architecture for the IEEE, co-editor for IEEE Electrification Magazine.
- PhD, Electrical & Computer Engineering, University of Wisconsin - Madison, 2013
- MS, Electrical & Computer Engineering, University of Wisconsin - Madison, 1990
- BS, Electrical & Computer Engineering, Brigham Young University, 1988
- DC, Medium Voltage DC and hybrid AC/DC power distribution architectures for Naval shipboard, community microgrids, smart homes and buildings and industrial parks
- Micro-grid protection and distribution using solid state protection, solid state transformer and fault mitigating power converters
- EMI mitigation and packaging of Wide Band Gap power semiconductor based converter systems
- Development of power electronic topologies and systems that are simultaneously power dense and grid compatible for Low Voltage and Medium Voltage applications
- S. Malekshah, F. Banihashemi, H. Daryabad, N. Yavarishad, and R. Cuzner. "A Zonal Optimization Solution to Reliability Security Constraint Unit Commitment with Wind Uncertainty." Computers and Electrical Engineering vol. 99, 2022 Apr 1.
- M. Vygoder, G. Oriti, J. Gudex, T. Tencate, A. L. Julian, R. Cuzner, “Comparison of Voltage Abnormality Detection Methods for Single-Phase Inverters to Meet the Requirements in IEEE Standard 1547-2018,” IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications. 2021 Jun 2.
- R. Siddaiah, M. Vygoder, R. M. Cuzner, J. C. Ordonez, and M. B. Chagas. "Virtual Prototyping Process For Assessment of Medium Voltage Grid-Connected Solid State Transformer Implementations." In 2021 IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE), pp. 1156-1163
- M. Karami, T. Li, R. Tallam, R. Cuzner,. “Thermal characterization of SiC modules for variable frequency drives”, IEEE Open Journal of Power Electronics. 2021 Apr 26;2:336-45.
- S. Ozdemi, N. Altin, A. Nasiri, R. Cuzner, “Review of Standards on Insulation Coordination for Medium Voltage Power Converters,” IEEE Open Journal of Power Electronics. 2021 Mar 12, vol. 2, pp. 236-49
- J. Gudex, R. Cuzner, “Multiple Line-to-Ground Fault Characterization and Mitigation in MVDC Shipboard Electrical Systems”, in 2021 IEEE Electric Ship Technologies Symposium (ESTS), 2021 Aug 3 (pp. 1-9). IEEE.
- R. M. Cuzner, W. J. Koebel, “Application of IEC-61800-5 Insulation Coordination to Shipboard Equipment Scaling Studies”, in 2021 IEEE Electric Ship Technologies Symposium (ESTS), 2021 Aug 3 (pp. 1-11). IEEE.
- M. Vygoder, M. Milton, J. D. Gudex, R. M. Cuzner, A. Benigni, “A hardware-in-the-loop platform for DC protection”, IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics. 2020 Aug 19, vol. 9(3):2605-19.
- K. Palaniappan, W. Sedano, M. Vygoder, N. Hoeft, R. Cuzner and J. Shen, "Short Circuit Fault Discrimination Using SiC JFET Based Self-Powered Solid State Circuit Breakers in a Residential DC Community Microgrid," in IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, May 2020