Starting May 11, 2019, Canvas will receive a number of improvements and updates as part of the regularly-scheduled upgrade cycle by Instructure. Updates are made regularly to bring new features, improve user experience, and fix bugs. Such updates do not typically result in downtime.
In addition, updates have been made to the Canvas Student and Teacher app for iOS devices and Android. Visit the app store for your device to receive those updates.
- Accessibility changes:
- Improved accessibility to inbox counters, the Syllabus tool, and navigation.
- Canvas Apps
- Student App on iOS: Use Siri to check grades.
- Student App on iOS: re-design of Quizzes to show more useful information.
- Student App on iOS and Android: re-design of Syllabus tool.
- Teacher App on iOS and Android: View, expand and collapse modules.
- Teacher and Student App on iOS: Apple Augmented Reality Quick Look support from the Files tool.
- Teacher and Student App on iOS: Double-tap the pencil to toggle between pencil and eraser.
An announcement will be made on the UWM Canvas website when these features are enabled.
- Copy course information between PAWS courses, Continuing Education courses, and Training/Development courses using the “Import Course Content” feature, rather than exporting and importing.
- Final grade override will be enabled at a future date. This feature may be used to provide an adjusted grade for students in the New Gradebook.
- The final grade override will be visible to all individuals with grading rights in a course (Teacher, TA Grader, Grader, administrative roles).
- The final grade override can be exported as a final grade to PAWS when the feature is available to UWM instructors.
To learn more about this Canvas update, and to see how the changes may affect instructors’ and students’ work, refer to the audience-specific release note links.
- Canvas Student App Release Notes for iOS
- Canvas Student App Release Notes for Android
- Canvas Release Notes for Instructors – Faculty, teaching staff, teaching assistants, graders, and instructional designers
- Canvas Release Notes for Administrators – Campus, school and college support professionals; administrators and IT professionals
- Comprehensive release notes – Contains all information for all audiences related to this release