Canvas is UWM’s new digital learning environment, which will replace D2L by Spring 2020. In Fall 2018, some of your courses may be in Canvas, and some may be in D2L. By Spring 2020, courses will no longer be offered in D2L. Your instructors may use Canvas to have you access readings, watch videos, take quizzes, submit assignments, and participate in online discussions. Visit the Canvas Transition website for more information on UWM’s move from D2L to Canvas.
Is your instructor using Canvas in Fall 2018? Click the button below to find out!
Canvas provides 24/7 support for UWM students.
Canvas is very easy to use! However, if you need some help on how to use the most common features in Canvas, please check out the following resources:Video Overviews
Canvas provides some excellent video guides to help students navigate the Canvas environment. Here are some of the top videos for UWM students:
The Canvas Guides provide in-depth help for just about anything you need to do in Canvas. Here are links to the most commonly used Guides:
- How do I log into Canvas?
- How can I use Canvas on my mobile device as a student?
- How do I submit an online assignment?
- How do I use the Calendar as a student?
- How do I use Conversations as a student?
- How do I use the Course Home Page as a student?
- How do I reply to a discussion as a student?
- How do I use the Dashboard as a student?
- How do I use the Global Navigation Menu as a student?
- How do I view my grades in a current course?
- How do I take a quiz?
UWM provides a self-paced training within Canvas for students to learn about how to use Canvas effectively in their courses. Students will need to click the Take Canvas Training button below and then choose “Enroll in Course” when prompted to join the course on their Canvas dashboard.
The online, self-paced training includes how to:
- Communicate with your instructor and peers
- Manage your personal files
- Keep track of when your assignments due
- Submit your assignments
- Submit peer reviews
- Participate in a group
- Check your grades
- And more!
Frequently Asked Questions for Students
For Fall 2018, you can check the Canvas instructor list to see if your instructor is using Canvas.
By Spring 2020, Canvas will completely replace D2L as UWM’s learning management system (LMS). Until then, some of your courses may be in Canvas, and some may be in D2L. To find out which learning management system (LMS) your instructor is using:
Canvas training for students is available on the Students navigation link on the Canvas login page. Three training options are available to students:
- Video Overviews
- Canvas Guides
- Self-Paced Training
Canvas provides a list of supported browsers.