Are you interested in contributing to our blog series? We currently have a Call for Essays for our Thinking C21 Blog featured below.
Trust, Voting and Democracy: Call for Essays
Thinking C21, the scholarly online publication affiliated with the Center for 21st Century Studies (C21) at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, is delighted to announce its call for short essays intended for publication during the Spring semester of 2024. Early career scholars and graduate students in the humanities, social sciences, sciences, and other disciplines are invited to explore the multifaceted context of our theme for this academic year, Trust & The Vote.
We are especially interested in topics that may cover or include:
- Conversations on how the education sector, particularly universities, can contribute to democracy.
- The intricate relationship between voting behavior, political trust, and the current democratic systems.
- The influence of emerging technologies, media, and social trends on voter engagement and trust in democratic institutions.
- Examinations on the role of emotions in trust, voting, and democracy.
- Historical, current, or speculative case studies of institutional or governmental trust
We welcome submissions for research papers and creative works that critically address these objectives and other relevant themes surrounding the intricacies of voting, trust, and democracy.
Submission Guidelines: Proposals should be limited to 150-300 words addressing the topic of the post and how it would be relevant to the larger Trust & The Vote objective. The ideal proposal will (1) offer a compelling or underrepresented perspective, (2) establish the story the author wants to tell or the problem they want to bring to their readers’ attention, and (3) fit within the short essay genre.
If accepted, we request you author a short essay 1,000-1,500 words in length, accompanied by 1-2 images. We will provide review, feedback, and editorial guidance for all accepted posts.
Publication Opportunities: Selected presentations will be published in the Spring 2024 Thinking C21 series.
Submission Process: Proposals should be submitted to C21@uwm.edu in pdf format. For inquiries and support related to the submission process, please contact C21@uwm.edu. Kindly include in the subject line “Trust & The Vote Essays.”
Proposal Submission Deadline: December 15, 2023
Notification of Acceptance: January 12, 2024